Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Best pc to host a dedicated server

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tamagotchii, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

So im bout to drop some $ into a PC that will run the server smoothly.
    But I need some suggestions.

From my understanding and multiple testing procedures as of 1.186.500 the server actually only uses 1 or 2 cores or threads in the CPU.
    so im thinking a higher Clockspeed per core CPU core would be the better route instead of a CPU with a good multiple core count and lower clockspeed.

I am considering either the Intel I7 8086K as it has the 4.0 Turbo up to 5.0 GHZ and 12 cores
    Or the AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 1950X has the 3.4 turbo up to 4.0GHZ and 16 cores 32 threads

Currently I have the I7 7700 16 gbram 1080 gtx and its just not strong enough... for what im doing.

which do you think would be better?

2. Roxette Senior Engineer

Don't ask for advice on Intel vs AMD chips, that is a matter of religious choice, you won't get any useful opinions :)

3. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

so I should not ask for technical help wow ok... thanks man...

4. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Techincal help is fine but asking about the choice between Intel and AMD is like asking which is better for games: Console or PC. It will not end well.

5. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

no I have a game that I cant run correctly im technically asking people who may know a little more education that I have on the matter. Ive tested until my wits end with this game and don't plan on giving up untill Im satisfied with the results. so please if you don't know the answer to the question or have any helpful advice don't derail my post.. thanks..

6. Roxette Senior Engineer

You should ask Keen. The code needs to be optimised to run well, larger companies can afford the resources to do that for both processor types. If you look at the history of reported problems with SE on AMD processors you'll probably come to the right choice.

7. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

8. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

ok so in my testing procedures I have noticed that the dedicated server only multi threads specific data but not all physics data.
    Leads me to believe a CPU with multiple cores would have little effect on the current situation at hand but a CPU with high single thread clockspeed would seem superior.
    Its a little confusing when analyzing how the DS server mitigates data vs the Client viewer which has the server running technically on the same machine in the background.
    the thread load is seen in the client viewer scenario but not the dedicated server setup scenario.

I have tested both ways and on different PC's and CPU's with very plausible results which indicate the dedicated server 1.186.500 does indeed NOT multithread physics data correctly across multiple threads. and have come to the conclusion the sim speed could be increased by 700% if this was addressed correctly.

can some Devs comment on this. cause I want to get this kink worked out or figure a way around this problem other than altering my game preset test environment.

Single thread clock speed is where it seems the bottleneck is at currently.
    and im tring to figure out if anyone out there would know if the threadripper 1950X or the i7 8086k could process single threaded math Faster.

9. Roxette Senior Engineer

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

Thanks that's a wealth of good information, im going to opt for the I7-8086k seems intel has more instruction per clock cycle.
    I wonder what the architecture of the SE test servers are. the mptest servers ran pretty smooth to me but I had to goto work and didn't have time to build my ship printer.

11. zachusaman Trainee Engineer

Wait a few days, or a week or 2 before you make a purchase since we are going to see a lot more people posting specs and configurations for server hosting, as well as the inevitable bugs that slip through the cracks. Personally I would go with AMD since they have confirmed to be supporting the same socket till at least 2020 so you could upgrade to the latest processor without having to buy a new motherboard, as well as the massive amount of issues Intel is running into with cpu development.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.