Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Can't Play Modded World with steam in offline mode.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by BabyKurama, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. BabyKurama Trainee Engineer

Problem is back

Everytime I try to load the world this sign comes up (look pic), but my world already is in offline mode.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  2. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Recent changes to modding effects Mods in offline mode, you can still use mods in offline mode, but need to manually copy them onto your drive.

- Mod downloading: We are now making use of the new Steam UGC system, which allows a much larger mod package. Some mods, especially the ones with 4k textures, would get quite large, and the old Steam API would not accept these mods. With Steam UGC this is no longer a problem. One big change here is that only local mods are now stored in appdata\MedievalEngineers\Mods, rather than all mods. The mods you download are automatically managed by Steam, so it didn't make sense to duplicate them on your harddrives. Finally, they are no longer zipped up, which allows Steam to perform incremental downloads, rather than having to re-download the whole mod again and again, each time you would make a change.
    -Steam's mod storage is \steamapps\workshop\content\333950\ for Medieval Engineers.
    -duplicate your mods to %appdata%\MedievalEngineers\Mods\ and they should work in offline mode.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  3. BabyKurama Trainee Engineer

This dosen't work.
    The mods shows up in the settings (pretty much all showing in as uncompatible, shows as compatible online thought). But when you select the mods and then load the world thats all ends, once inside none of the mods shows when pressing G.

Also my M.E folder is in %appdata%\Roaming\MedievalEngineers\Mods

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  4. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

?
    Did you copy mods from steamapps\workshop\content\333950\ and paste them into %appdata%\MedievalEngineers\Mods\
    or are you using what was in there already?
    i'll see if i can get it to work and let you know, any mod in particular?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. I23I7 ME Tester

He means your steam folder not your local content folder. You need copy the mods from the steam one to the local one.

6. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Gave it a shot, but it didn't work as expected. :(
    Any ideas? What did i break?

7. BabyKurama Trainee Engineer

ye i did that still didn't work, not for a single one
    --- Automerge ---
    Did it 3 times, even try'ed to zip one mod and try a 4th time but still nothing

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  8. I23I7 ME Tester

@CptTwinkie Hey have you any idea what could be causing this?

9. CptTwinkie Moderator

let me investigate...
    --- Automerge ---
    confirmed...is broken...will fix
    --- Automerge ---
    fixed...will be in tomorrow's update

• Like Like x 2
  10. BabyKurama Trainee Engineer

The Problem is back again

11. I23I7 ME Tester

@CptTwinkie

12. CptTwinkie Moderator

testing...
    --- Automerge ---
    It's working fine.

The only thing I would note is that, if you use a legacy mod, you'll have to unzip it.

13. BabyKurama Trainee Engineer

dosent work for me and most of the mods are unziped (like 99% of all the mods), but i stil get the steam is offline sign

14. CptTwinkie Moderator

Is steam actually offline?

15. BabyKurama Trainee Engineer

I have no internet connected when I try so yes

16. CptTwinkie Moderator

I just tried it with the following conditions:
    internet disconnected
    steam in offline mode
    new world set to offline
    random mod (Wolfgar's Graveyard Kit) - extracted from legacy bin to a new folder %appdata%\MedievalEngineers\Mods\Graveyard Kit\

It loaded without any complaints

17. BabyKurama Trainee Engineer

then why the f is it not working for me?

18. CptTwinkie Moderator

It's hard to say without more information. I can take a look at your log file if you post it.
    Have you edited your world settings to use the offline mods instead of the online versions?

19. BabyKurama Trainee Engineer

log:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AiKm_48Qmx2ymiRo4quknI4GS8cB

and what do u mean with the second thing?
    if its this (Did you copy mods from steamapps\workshop\content\333950\ and paste them into %appdata%\MedievalEngineers\Mods\
    or are you using what was in there already?) then yes i ahve already tryed it, the world gets loaded then but the mods dosen't.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  20. CptTwinkie Moderator

i mean edit your world settings to use the offline copies of the mods instead of the workshop

21. Dan2D3D Moderator

@BabyKurama

The log file you have shared is from Space Engineers ;)

_____

I set my world to ''Offline'' and the Mods will be in if I'm sub'd to those Mods = they are already in my computer but I have to set the world > ''Offline''< so the game does not check for Mod updates.

You should share your world so a Dev can try it = faster this way ;)
    --- Automerge ---
    Sorry > correction

I just tested one of my Modded worlds in all modes = all Mods are in my world and it loads OK.

22. BabyKurama Trainee Engineer

My world is put in offline if that's what you mean, else I think you have to show me as I don't know what it is then.

[​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    World plus pics on all my mods subscribed and using, well trying to use
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!AiKm_48Qmx2yunejpm8N-BMz3kr8

23. Lord Seth Trainee Engineer

I was facing the same problems that you and manage to make it load (with a lot of work) this is what you need to do:

you need to duplicate all those mods from your Steam mods folder (Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\333950) into your local mods folder (%appdata%\Roaming\MedievalEngineers\Mods) AND load those local-created mods via the "setup mods" window AND unload and never use the workshop mods (if not the world will NOT load if you don't have internet even if is set to offline mode).

In the end, in game you will see the mods twice (in the setup mods window): once with a folder with the steam icon and whatever name the mod has (that's the workshop version, only works if you have internet! leave them in the "available" section) and once with a plain folder with no extra icon and with a series of random numbers instead of the proper name (that's the local version, put those in the "active" section). Because the local mods take their name from their folders name, and because when Steam downloads a mod it names its folder just with the mod id, if you want meaningful names in your local mods instead of just random numbers you have to manually rename each mod folder after you copy it in your local mods directory.

Also, note that visually all the local mods will appear like if they were incompatible (with red text) once they are situated in the active section (I don't know why, maybe a bug?) even if they are exact copies of 100% compatible workshop mods (with a proper metadata.mod file) and they have black text when they are on the available section. Fortunately this appears to be only a visual problem in the setup mods window and it doesn't affect the game, the world loads without any error alert and mods work properly.

TLDR; The actual system for real offline mode is HORRIBLE if you use mods, not only takes 2 times the space but also implies a lot of extra work (I had to manually rename 50+ folders) and is a pain to keep track of mods updates. I hope they improve this system.

24. BabyKurama Trainee Engineer

I have try'ed to move them to there but didn't work before, well ii could load the world but they didn't show in world, and I have no idea what you mean with setup mods window 0.0

25. Lord Seth Trainee Engineer

you don't need to move them, you need to copy them.
    1) go to this directory (Steam mods directory): \Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\333950 select all the folders that are inside (those are all the workshops mods) and copy them
    2) go to this directory (Local mods directory): \%appdata%\Roaming\MedievalEngineers\Mods and paste all the folders copied before
    3) Optional: rename each single folder just created to match its mod name
    4) In game, open Edit settings > Setup mods and move all the local mods (plain folder icon) from the "available" panel to the "active" panel, leave all the workshop mods (folder with Steam icon) in the "available" panel
    5) ...
    7) Profit!

the window that pops when you click on the "setup mods" button in the "Edit settings" window.

26. BabyKurama Trainee Engineer

I'll try it but later as right now iam playing SE with friend ^^

27. CptTwinkie Moderator

I don't understand why you are having so much trouble with this

1.) load the world to get the mods (you probably already have them, it's your world)

2.) copy the mods from the steam workshop folder

3.) paste them into the appdata mods folder

4.) legacy mods are compressed into a single file. new mods (0.6) are not.

5.) extract the contents into the same folder and remove the compressed file

6.) i like to rename the folders to make them easier to find

7.) in your world's mod settings, remove the workshop version of the mod (notice the steam symbol)

8.) add the local version (notice the folder symbol)

9.) there it is, added to the list

10.) load the world in offline mode. it works

• Informative Informative x 1
  28. BabyKurama Trainee Engineer

I try'ed it and it worked well i didnt try it with all mods as i didnt know the name of some of them, but those that i tryed with worked well almost i did get this error when i loaded in.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  29. I23I7 ME Tester

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.