Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Cargo & Player Inventory Size

Discussion in 'Balancing' started by High Ground, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

I like the idea of being able to adjust the inventory size of the player but I seriously think having 10x inventory for cargo containers is counterproductive from an engineering aspect. In survival with a 10x setting I rarely build more than 1 large cargo container to hold all my stuff. Most of the time you can live out of a small cargo container for a long, long time.

I would humbly request that Cargo Inventory Limits become fixed to 1x levels.

And allow the Inventory size limit to only affect player characters, this places more of the engineering challenge on the player to build more cargo containers will lead many to plan their builds differently.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 14
  2. P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

I just got to thinking the main problem the larger inventory is meant to solve is having to constantly pick up components when welding in survival. So how about taking the components for welding out of a nearby container automatically or the entire conveyor system if the nearby container is hooked up?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Malware Master Engineer

Kill the ship inventory multiplier. Average out the player inventory so it's not as tedious as 1x and not as ridiculous as 10x.

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

They can leave the character inventory adjustable, just make the cargo container inventory as a fix number regardless of settings.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Thales M. Senior Engineer

Cargo inventory multiplier also makes game balance impossible and weird. A small drill ship with no cargo container at all works perfectly fine in x10 cargo setting. But it won't be enough in realistic setting. An exploit; if your ship has several refineries which are too heavy to fly, you can grind them and put the components in to cargo container in order to lighten the ship, then rebuild them after trip.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. ViroMan Senior Engineer

This can be done with a mod... can it not? Adjust all cargo sizes down so that even at 10X it is only standard 1x. Since you can not adjust the players cargo size via mod(as far as I am aware) he can still haul around the multiplier size.

7. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

It makes sense to have character inventory adjustable, but it makes no sense to make cargo inventory size adjustable. It should simply be a matter of if you need more storage, build it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I kinda like hurling those 10xmultiplier stone meteors towards stuff tbh

9. Voutare Trainee Engineer

I would rather not see this done in this way, instead make 2 inv multiplier settings (one for player inv, one for other inv) and leave thruster inv adjustment for "other inv multiplier"

10. odizzido Junior Engineer

I agree with this, though personally I don't mind 1x inventory size on players. Honestly it just means I build a weld ship early on and the problem is gone. They're really cheap to make, especially if you run hydrogen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ViroMan Senior Engineer

ok... do this... Make cargo units store items in pocket dimension. In cargo units control window give it a slide bar or some check boxes that say what the selectable size is. Exponential power needs to pocket dimension size selected. Cargo units do not use the extra power until contents exceed the 1x space rating for that unit.

Loose power? It stops working if it contains more then 1x space worth of items... COMPLETELY. Not even with direct access.
    Deconstruct a unit with more then 1x space contents... you deserve what happens.

As for suit space... I still prefer a sliding max based on how much gravity you are experiencing. Exceed the sliding max and you can not move or accelerate very slowly (as in you stuff yourself away from gravity and then come into gravity now it is getting harder to slow down or move).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Well @Stormigedon if you disagree with something I typed up... explain why. Disagreeing without giving a reason is silly and helps no one.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. plaYer2k Master Engineer

I personally dislike the inventory multiplier too, both block and character.

Imo the player inventory should be as small as some real one is so that the character can only carry tools, weapons, ammo and alike.

As for the welding part other methods should be developed instead of this bloaty inventory. Having like a "tube" connect inbetween character and some conveyor hatch to directly feed from the inventory system while welding and feed into while grinding would be the optimal approach in my opinion. The next step for player mobility would be tiny drones that follow you to which you are constantly connected to to share the inventory. That and only that is what i see as proper approach for a realism-driven engineering game over these overly arcade sets yet. But that'll likely not happen after all ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TwoHedWlf Trainee Engineer

On the realism front, yeah I don't like having the inventory larger than the physical object. But for gameplay, it would just be annoying having to run back and forth...
    Fly to cargo container
    Fly to block with a single steel plate
    Fly to cargo container
    Fly to cargo container
    Fly to cargo container
    Fly to block with a Large steel tube
    Fly to cargo container
    Fly to block with a Large steel tube
    Fly to cargo container
    Fly to block with a small steel tube

I DO like the idea of a little flurry of DRDs that, once you've built the scaffolding can run around carrying components and doing the welding.
    [​IMG]

15. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Someone likes farscape...
    <_<
    >_>
    ok, me too.

16. Thales M. Senior Engineer

If you are close enough to any container there should appear a 'magic' cable between your character and container which allows transfer of items from welder/grinder/handdrill to container or reverse.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. ViroMan Senior Engineer

On that idea... now that I have reread this... it is probably possible to make a mod to do that. The nanite mod does something very similar except the nanites go through everything. It might be possible to tap into pathfinding AI to get little bots to attempt to get to the part to weld.

18. Jas Apprentice Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  19. CameronMcFadden Trainee Engineer

I agree with this completely. Having too much inventory space takes away a problem that is meant to be engineered around. Why spend an hour experimenting and building transport vehicles when you can already carry everything you need? Keen has said that the goal of space engineers is to engineer your way around problems, and when you can solve one of the major ones just by changing some settings it just detracts from the game.

I understand that players don't want to have to make 100 trips to thier cargo containers to build an antenna on realistic settings, but if you aren't happy with how it's going, find a more efficient way. That's what engineering is. Stick your cargo container on wheels and slap a welder and a solar panel on the top if you have to, that kind of thinking is what space engineers is meant to induce.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Thanks Jas! Yeah the capacity of large large block cargo containers feels a bit ridiculous. I like the idea of building big space freighters to haul stuff around but it's pretty pointless when a single large container can hold an insanely huge amount of stuff even at 3x which I play at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

I don't see how forcing players to play a certain way is a good idea. 10x inventory is good for fast PVP type servers, where players can build up fast and get into the action without the grind and afford to take losses.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  22. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

I completely agree. I think Voutare said it best: have separate sliders to adjust player inventory and container inventory. I would play with the player at x3 and my containers at x1, but that's just me. It wouldn't be fair for me to force someone else to play the game my way, just like it wouldn't be fair for someone else to force me to play at 10x everything. In a game like this everyone should be able to play their own way.

23. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

I don't think it's a good idea to have sliders for all solutions. Although I think a Free dragging behind player duffel bag solution would be hilarious if useful. Of course this would heavily penalize your jet pack performance and dampeners.

Flexible hose piping could be the alternative to the duffel bag.

24. ViroMan Senior Engineer

At first I scoffed and laughed a little at this idea. Then it hit me... this is the F-ing future... why do we not have Amazon drones carrying our stuff for us? We already have suitcases that follow you...
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Roxette Senior Engineer

Really? ... or is it just yet another Indiegogo scam? All I see is a lot of broken promises and people asking for their money back :/

26. ViroMan Senior Engineer

There are a few of this kind of thing... I just picked an image I was familiar with reading at one time.
    <-- a seemingly thriving business(if you don't count the fact that there are dozens of refund requests in the last week).

<-- They have a website now too ( http://travelmaterobotics.com/ )

edit:
    Huh... keens website converted the links for the two indegogo sites.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  27. Roxette Senior Engineer

Neither of them have actually shipped any products to customers, nothing but promised refunds...

28. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

As someone who plays on 3x inventory and can't enjoy most MP servers because of 10x inventory, I have to heartily agree with this suggestion.

An upgradeable backpack (perhaps one that replaces the jetpack?) with more cargo space would be a nice in-game way to increase slots, but it feels silly having the main reason for building ships - cargo - be useless due to massive pockets.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Sinbad Senior Engineer

what happened to 'follow me' drones?
    they were popular a few years ago. just a medium cargo with a gyro, 6 ions and some sensors and a basic script.
    its a cargo container that follows you around the worksite. some even had lights.
    you know, with the auto docking and inventory management scripts we have these days, I think someone could probably manage a pair of these that take turns filling and following so an engineer need never wait for a component again.

I think I have a new project...

30. ViroMan Senior Engineer

spoze you could make a clever welder follow drone. Drop some blocks and keep dropping more while a drone with a lower welder attachment follows you.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.