Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Category 2 - Fan Fiction

Discussion in 'Creation Contests' started by George.Mamakos, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. George.Mamakos Apprentice Engineer

Use your imagination and create a story which is inspired from the Space Engineers' universe.
    • The stories should not be very long. Preferably 4-5 pages max.
    • Use only game mechanics that are already in the game, don’t add stuff that’s not present in the game or has not been confirmed by us (e.g. don’t work with teleports and lasers and weapons that are not present in the game).
    • We haven’t provided any background information about the world of Space Engineers; there are just some clues such as the year, our vision for the game, where we took the inspiration etc. – be creative!
    • One last clue: we consider Space Engineers to be in a very similar game universe as our previous game, Miner Wars 2081 “… The game was set in the year 2081, 11 years after the destruction of Earth. Being so early in space technology and colonization, the people of Earth are ill-equipped to survive in space indefinitely. Mining colonies previously established in space allowed some 120,000 people to live in space and continue the species …”
    • Members will vote for the best story. The story with the most votes will be the winner.
    • The winner gets one NVIDIA GTX 770
    How to submit your story:
    1. After creating your story, upload it on an online text sharer (eg. Pastebin) so everyone can read it.
    2. Then send the link with your story to our email at press@keenswh.com with the title “Fan Fiction contest”

Submissions for this contest will start on Oct 15 and will end on Nov 30, 2014.
    After the end of the submission period, we will post all the entries on the corresponding forum thread (will be announced later) where other players can read the stories and vote for the best ones through a poll.
    The winners will be announced on Dec 15, 2014 through our website, forum and Facebook page.
    Please use this thread to discuss anything about this contest.

The contest's winners can be found here: http://forums.keenswh.com/post?id=7312052

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  2. Marslettuce Trainee Engineer

Can we submit video fan fiction? Eg. An animated series set in the SE universe
    EDIT: The series in question

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2014
  3. Willemina Senior Engineer

Could you clarify this requirement? This and the following hints seem to be at odds with each other since pressurized environments are out by this standard (AFAIK they're not confirmed), but would be necessary for continued human habitation. Same goes for planets, food production, currency and such. If things have been confirmed, could we get a list? Disqualification over something as silly as opening a can of potted meat would be gutting. I'm kinda interested in this, I've never actually written a short story before, it might be fun!

A multimedia category would be amazing.

4. darth_biomech Senior Engineer

does that means that Earth was\will be destroyed in SE universe as well?

5. Willemina Senior Engineer

Ooh, another question! Is there a limit on submissions or can there be multiple entries from the same author(s)?

6. FatalPapercut Senior Engineer

I read it as "the story should be set in a near-future era, not a million years out".

That bullet point seems to be a quote about Miner Wars itself rather than a hard fact about SE. "Very similar universe", but not necessarily the exact same. Earth might not be destroyed, but nobody's warp traveled out to the other size of the galaxy and met a hundred alien species yet, either. Life is hard, the only comforts you have are the ones you make for yourself.

---

Agreed with Willemina though, would like to have more clear definitions as to what is and is not allowed as defined by "features in game".

Modded blocks/features yea or nay? (IIRC someone did make a food mod, so that's technically "in game".)

Expected future features yea or nay? (Would be silly to disqualify someone for mentioning a shotgun, then next thursday introduce an expanded weapons pack in game with shotguns, especially since most features aren't announced ahead of time.)

Is there an overall list complied of features present in game or confirmed by devs to use as guidelines?

Is using an unconfirmed feature grounds for total disqualification of the entry, or just a frowny face sticker?

Unrelated to the above last question, I have a laptop, so is the prize still the graphics card even if the winner can't use it?

7. Amancalledme Apprentice Engineer

What size font?

and would we be allowed to have ice involved? (I want my character to survive beyond the limitations of his oxygen tank)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
  8. ArenDaystar Apprentice Engineer

I am writing a story, right now and for the contest, that features no non-vanilla SE elements aside from pressurised environments, and even these play little role in the story, since the hull of the ship where most of the action takes place is depressurized early on. Would this be acceptable?

9. Amancalledme Apprentice Engineer

Sounds a little like what I did, mine is done, btw.

10. DagonDevilHunter Trainee Engineer

Listen... I can offer me vision of game only on Eng lang? I cant write, what i think on Rus lang? How u can see my Eng is **** =(

11. Willemina Senior Engineer

You probably can, but since it's being rated by the Reddit mob, English would go over better. You've got plenty of time, maybe you can find yourself someone to help translate or edit your entry.

12. TrueChaoS Trainee Engineer

Well.. I can't do that :woot:
    Short stories are the bane of my existence.

13. Vermillion Senior Engineer

Do the rules include features removed from the game, but still present in the files? (Round armor, ice, helium and ladders)

14. darth_biomech Senior Engineer

also, does LOGICAL and realistic features that SHOULD be there but are absent from the game is allowed? Or people will be disqualified for mention of planets or pressurized hulls or astronauts eating?

15. marek_rosa Developer Staff

Hi, I tried to answer some of your questions:

Q: Can we submit video fan fiction? Eg. An animated series set in the SE universe
    A: We didn't expect someone will want to make a video/machinima, but it's a good idea, so yes it's allowed in this contest category

Q: Can we use pressurized environments, planets, food production, currency and such...
    A: No, because they are not current game features

Q: does that means that Earth was\will be destroyed in SE universe as well?
    A: I know that we didn't say much about SE universe, so you are free here. Earth can be destroyed but doesn't have to be. It's up to you.

Q: Modded blocks/features yea or nay?
    A: No modded blocks, because they are not part of the vanilla Space Engineers

Q: Expected future features yea or nay?
    A: No, because only current features are allowed

Q: Is there an overall list complied of features present in game or confirmed by devs to use as guidelines?
    A: This is our current list of features (looks like we didn't forget nothing): http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/features.html

Q: Is using an unconfirmed feature grounds for total disqualification of the entry, or just a frowny face sticker?
    A: This would be a total disqualification ... but I hope it won't happen as a lot of someone's work will go to it just to get rejected. Please make sure you follow our contest rules.

Q: I have a laptop, so is the prize still the graphics card even if the winner can't use it?
    A: Yes

Q: and would we be allowed to have ice involved? (I want my character to survive beyond the limitations of his oxygen tank)
    A: We don't have oxygen in game at this moment so no, this isn't allowed

Q: Russian language?
    A: Only English is allowed

Q: Do the rules include features removed from the game, but still present in the files? (Round armor, ice, helium and ladders)
    A: Only currently present/available features are allowed - those that can be used right now

Thank you
    Marek

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
  16. Wombats Junior Engineer

Trolls are currently blanket downvoting all the submissions on Reddit.... this would not seem to be the best means to evaluate the quality of works of fiction. Anyone can make a Reddit account; or 10 of them, and there is no sort of screening to determine if they even read the submission they are voting on.

17. TrueChaoS Trainee Engineer

I have to agree with this.
    I didn't even notice that it was determined by most votes =/
    If it is judged by most votes, then there is nothing stopping other people competing from going to other submissions and downvoting them to make sure they have a better chance of winning. It also removes any true "value" from the winning submission, because it hasn't been "judged" by the people running the competition, it merely won because it had an arbitrary number higher than the other submissions.

18. Amancalledme Apprentice Engineer

I agree with the above two posts, I think that there should be assigned judges (like redphoenix or marek) that decide.

19. darth_biomech Senior Engineer

I wonder how one can write good fanfiction with such limitations, honestly...

20. Wombats Junior Engineer

Literally none of the submissions have above 1 vote, and one is at -2. This is a joke not worth submitting to.

21. Willemina Senior Engineer

Not to be salty, but quite a few of them are not particularly polished, many carry caveats that they're little more than drafts, and with Marek's clarifications on the rules most are simply disqualified. We have:
    • Mentions of warp
    • Action set on planets
    • Nuclear weapons
    • AI
    • Solar flares
    • Pressurized environments
    And that doesn't even start to touch on the ones that need some brutal editing. Idk, I had a couple ideas, but with the restrictions this feels more like a request for design documents than short fiction, which is perfectly okay, but the whole thing is very confusing.

22. Vermillion Senior Engineer

Well... if it's to include only features in the game, it's nearly impossible.
    You can't have a story about a broken component in a Refinery, because components don't break. You can't even have it about a leaky space suit, because there's no specifics of the suit in-game and the suit doesn't leak.

23. Wombats Junior Engineer

Yeah but the point is that the actually decent ones have the same score as the terrible ones because any positive votes are immediately cancelled out by negative votes from the authors of the other submissions.

24. Amancalledme Apprentice Engineer

Again, I think that this competition should be decided by a group of judges.

Also, I have not read any novels so far of my competition that have mention of non-SE things.

I do not think that a story should be disqualified because there is a mention of a space suit tearing, or blood stains, etc.

25. darth_biomech Senior Engineer

You can't even have characters, because game have no voices or other differences besides color, plus even if you accept that, your characters cannot have any background or bio, for it will surely mention or imply something banned, like pressurized environment (to think about it, the character THEMSELVES implying a forbidden feature! You can't give a birth in a space suit...). All suits can do is give a few signs and walk around. and I have NO IDEA how to write a fiction text without a characters.

Edit: Actually, after a bit of thought, I think I have one idea, how to pull it off with the limitations. I hope that it is mine alone. :3

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
  26. Troa Barton Apprentice Engineer

Id like to take part in this but it's really a non-fictitious fiction. If they are looking to use this as any grounds for a backstory of the game then we have to be able to make things up.

27. Saxon Trainee Engineer

Personally, I'm quite disappointed in the strict set of rules. I had been working on quite the idea for a story, but due to the fact that logical features not in game aren't permitted I'll have to rule it out. The idea featured a destroyed earth, and pressurization, both of which aren't implemented. As others have said, there's not much we can really do in terms of an actual story. Surely the more grounded twistings aren't bad? It's like we wannabe authors gathered here have been told to run, only after having our hands and feet tied.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
  28. TrueChaoS Trainee Engineer

To be fair, they said that you can have the earth destroyed, as the lore isn't really written, and as we can change skyboxes, you can get away with having it in the background. So that much is alright. But that's about it.

29. TheEndersWAR Apprentice Engineer

But Isn't that modding? I'm confused. to many limitations :(

30. Willemina Senior Engineer

The way I understand it, no action can be set there because they're not implemented, but they can be mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.