Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Other Changing name IG

Discussion in 'Roleplaying' started by ACGScott4208, Oct 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. ACGScott4208 Trainee Engineer

Idea:
    Being able to change your name in game.

Description:
    Me and my community like to roleplay as our faction. But there are a few things the game could add so Roleplay will become more realistic.

Being able to change your name IG to for example Lieutenant Commander or Private or even Sergeant or Admiral will improve the organisation of a roleplay server and roleplay clans like mine.

I think allot of people would agree with me on this one, well the roleplay fans atleast. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

it puts me in mind of TF2.
    specifically the cheat/hack packs that auto rename the player to someone else in the server to make it harder to kick them.
    im sure this doesn't happen in space engineers.
    but yeah roleplaying is something really special.
    perhaps name could if possible while ingame be changed at a medical centre

3. Roxette Senior Engineer

The in-game name is defined at the time the game is created (local game) or the time of first connection to the server (net game) from your steam name at that point in time. It is then saved in the Sandbox.sbc file of the save. When the game/server is not running, the name can be edited in the save file to show a different player name which will then persist and show on character, in the faction member list and as the owner of blocks/spawnpoints, but the F3 key player list on a net game shows the current steam names. A simpler way to change it would be nice, perhaps, as it is also confusing when players have changed their steam name on long-persistent servers.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  4. ACGScott4208 Trainee Engineer

This is way to difficult for the younger audiance to understand sometimes. I think KSH should implement a way for players to change their name IG. I don't realy like to throw my game files upside down to change my name. But thanks for letting me know it is at least possible.

I still think this should be a future for the next major update (perfect in line with the SIM speed in the next major update) ;)

What do you think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Roxette Senior Engineer

I agree... it is something which should be easy to implement... put it on the feedback site - they don't seem to look at suggestions anywhere else :)
    --- Automerge ---
    I noticed another inconsistency in name handling later, the on-screen chat shows one name, the chat log in the menu screen shows the other. The whole situation is just a great example of really poor programming practice, so it should be classed as a bug report.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.