Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Connection Problems when joining friends game

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Chris9990306, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Chris9990306 Trainee Engineer

Hello,

I have a problem with game connection in the "late game". A friend and I build lots of stuff and everything was fine. I'm joining his game over steam by the way. But at some point now my game lags when I join him. His ping in TeamSpeak goes to about 150-200 ms and for me the game is unplayable. It takes long to switch tools an even longer to open chests and stockpiles.

He has up to 2 Mbit in upload what should be enough

Is there something we can do?

Best regards
    Chris9990306

2. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

Usually this bottle-necking affect goes away after a few minutes once the game catches up. If there is a lot going on in the world that needs to be synchronized then it is possible that it is keeping his connection saturated. We have seen servers with more than 20 players have this issue on a 10Mb connection have this saturation effect. Mathematically that's about 1Mb for 2 players. This overlooks overhead for the world (plant growth and voxel changes), and grid activity (mechanical systems, collisions from dynamic grids, etc). So is it possible that the bandwidth between you and your friend is saturated? Yes, but it's unlikely unless you have created a very demanding world.

I would suggest you try connecting and playing on a newly created world. If it works without issues then it is probably related to your world. If you still have problems then it is likely related to your connection.

3. Chris9990306 Trainee Engineer

The bandwidth is causing the problem. A new game works fine but the existing save we play uses all bandwidth and does not send less data even after 10 minutes. We now host our game on a server from a hosting provider and it runs smooth.

4. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

OK. That usage sounds a little high but it matches behavior I've seen elsewhere. We'll have to do some communication analysis soon. Perhaps we can slim it down.

5. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

We have found some bandwidth hogging in our code and we slimmed it down quite a bit in recent updates. Is it working any better for you?

6. Chris9990306 Trainee Engineer

Hello CptTwinkie,

thanks for the effort and please excuse the late answer. We are now using our dedicated server on a server by a hoster. As we know and still experience both internet connections, the one of my friend and mine, do not have the needed upload rate to host the game. I didn't see other posts about that problem so I guess working on that is not necessary.

But we experience another problem which may come from the same source. When something is build the ping of both connected players goes up to over 100 so there is a short “lag” for 1 second or less.
    “Build” in this case means not placing a block but use the hammer for the first time on a new block.

May you can check this. If needed I would give you access to the server. Since it is a Windows Server RDP access would be possible.

Thanks a lot
    Chris9990306

7. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

The severity of this depends on the conditions. If you are attaching the block to a very large grid for example, that behavior is not unheard of. But if it's happening all the time that would be strange. A short screen capture would be more helpful in this case to understand what the situation is rather than RDP access.

BTW, this would be better as a separate bug report

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.