1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Dark Age memory spot: MY FIRST MEMORABLE EVENT WITHIN MEDIEVAL ENGINEERS

Discussion in 'General' started by Cetric, Dec 20, 2017.

?

Your first lasting memory about ME as being told here was...

1. ... funny.

50.0%
  2. ... frustrating.

16.7%
  3. ... awesome.

33.3%
  4. ... tedious.

33.3%
  5. ... challenging

16.7%
  6. ... surprising.

33.3%
  7. ... turning me into rage-quitter.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. ... simply wonderful.

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Cetric

Cetric Junior Engineer

So now we have the end of 2017, everybody is pleased with what became of ME under auspices of Vice-Pope Deepflame and his team of KEEN cardinals, so let us rest for a moment and share the memories we first had in ME which haunt us up to this day.
    Could have been your first build, your first won combat with nasty barbarians, your first collapse of an over-ambitious construction defying physics... whatever. Tell us, your colleagues, KEEN Vatican palace in Prague and the audience about what you kept in memory from your apprentice time in ME.
    And approximately when did it happen? So we know at what stage of the game (update history). Maybe it is even not possible to revive once more, for example when it had to do with 'servants' who disappeared with some refit.

[​IMG]
    Ehm, picture for decoration only. It's not reminding of a period when we had horses...

2. MorshuArtsInc

MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Well, this recently happened...

:carlton::pbjt::carlton:
    I've been there from (almost) the very beginning.
    A friend of mine told me about this game called "Space Engineers", and I just thought "Meh". A bit later, he told me that the same company, one certain "Keen Software House", had recently released a similar game, but not set in SPAAACE, but the Middle Ages, and I, a notorical history nerd, was like INSTA-BUY.
    I started my first world on the 3rd of July 2015 A.D. That's about six months after the initial launch of the game, if I remember correctly.
    Earth was still flat, and we were gods (because there was no survival mode yet).
    I remember that the first thing I build was a small square fort with a counterweight crane/elevator, which actually kind of worked up until some update came out.
    From then on I created lots of simple contraptions, carts, catapults, ballistae (but not trebuchets, the releasing rope hooks were not yet implemented), of which many of course :clang:sploded. But in a funny way.
    I remember almost unlimited compound building. Luckily, I still have some old blueprints from which I can still extract some of the compounds that are not possible anymore these days.
    I remember building (today's) multiblocks like large round walls being a mess, but a creative one as you could use every single block for your buildings. Although there were of course less of them than there are today.
    I remember my castles crumbling under their own weight because structural integrety was not quite fleshed out yet. Keen gladly fixed this problem soon.
    I have so many fond (and some not-so-fond) memories of this game, I couldn't write all of them down.

Well, anyway: Happy new year to you all, and may it be a great year for engineering! Cheers! :beer:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cetric

Cetric Junior Engineer

I think my most memorable moments were a feeling of being in danger when it was dark and my first building (I started in creative) was lit with torches and all around on the flat world it was pitch black. I was expecting barbarians to attack out of the dark any minute. A real feeling of facing the dangerous unknown.
    (It did not happen, maybe I had them switched off, I don't remember, what I had checked or unchecked in this first game back in february, 2016)
    --
    Another memorable moment was when I discovered I could dig into voxels, deeper and deeper and construct caves, which happened to be my catacombs then. I was getting so enthusiastic about building subterrranean buildings I went on and on, reached an insane level. Stairs, hallways, halls, tombs. When I started to create coffins for stuffing them into the catacombs, I wondered if the game was driving me crazy. Of course not. But sometimes I had a slight horror feeling down there, which is as remarkable as feeling afraid in a lighted castle with darkness around. :p
    --
    With mechanical blocks I did not have as much fun as with medieval architecture. I wanted to build a scorpion and could not figure out how to make it function as a scorpion would. Catapult yes, but no scorpion, while I felt I had the parts at hands if I only knew how to combine them to come to that result. The non-functioning symbolic pseudo-scorpion (movie prop) is still standing on a defense platform in my saved flat world of summer 2016.
    --
    Ahhh, another thing comes to my mind. Back then you could spawn NPCs including barbarians. I had a jail (subterranean, of course) with mod doors (we did not have vanilla - and moving - doors yet), so I spawned two or three barbarians into a prison cell and locked them up with such mod door. I went doing other things and forgot about them. Next time I loaded the world I went to see how they were doing... the prison cell was still locked, but emptied. :) Merciful devs had a timer so NPCs would not suffer too long from hands of cruel players, it seems.

4. MongooseCalledFred

MongooseCalledFred Trainee Engineer

My most memorable event was getting halfway through constructing a castle from a blueprint of a plastic structure I'd built before, then realizing that the ratios were completely incompatible. That was December 2015. My old computer ran the game at 4 FPS on minimum settings, but I still put some 5 hours in before waiting for some sort of optimization. That was long enough to get me hooked on the soundtrack, which was probably worth more than the game at 4 FPS.

5. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

First time i made a cart on a hill. Loaded it up and made it mobile. I tried chasing down the hill as it rocketed towards the forest. It made a spectacular view as i saw a few trees in a line fall down.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ghostickles

Ghostickles Senior Engineer

This is a tale of cabbage and war. Long ago, in the time of the first planet; a castle grew on a claim nearby and our House set up a claim fort outside to siege it. The next day we started flinging cabbages over the walls while they were strengthening their defenses. There were some skirmishes over the proceeding couple days, every time we put up a treb nearby they would sally forth and smash it. Finally, we set a treb up inside our fort walls, it was a very small fort, hardly had room, but we got it finished and called it a day. Later that night our fort was raided and destroyed. Sad about this defeat we ascended the mountains over the castle, and quickly set up a down and dirty fort, carved the voxel into cliffs and threw up two trebs. When they logged in we began the bombardment. They suffered greatly. Twice they ascended to our position, once constructing a mobile ramp to climb up and over our defense, but twice were turned away by our crossbow. The siege continued. After their capitulation we descended and sacked their castle. There, among debris of broken stones and wood were some barrels. They were filled with cabbages. They had farmed our ammunition!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Cetric

Cetric Junior Engineer

Worked fine for you the sound did not run at 4 metronome ticks per minute meantime (if I try to estimate something in the world of sound equal to 4 FPS in the world of video). :)
    --- Automerge ---
    The event went into the history books as "Battle of the Vegetarians", I am sure.
    "And they all sat together and had a big bowl of salad together, made by Lord Ghostickles of booty cabbages."

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. MorshuArtsInc

MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Your story makes me really want to join a public server one day. But alas, I only have access to a beefy enough PC during the weekends, and I'm quite into Staxel right now. Also, I've experienced several crashes since 0.6.1, so I'll take a break from engineering for now, although I have several ideas for contraptions spinning in my head.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.