1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Faithful Envoy

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by WisdomTooth100, May 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. WisdomTooth100

WisdomTooth100 Trainee Engineer

I've built this ship to represent a compact design which is both useful to players at any stage in the game but feels RP-friendly. I've gone back to it a few times making improvements and I really hope you like it.

Vanilla, survival ready and contains all systems on board necessary for a mobile base of operations.

I'd love to know what you think!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2083462501

2. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

I like its "atmosphere" inside, and your style of building.

We all build a little differently (trying to get a discussion going about different engineers' perspectives on modding npc ships in another thread)

So, if you dont mind, some of my inputs, on how I see/feel/need things a bit different (please dont see them as criticisms, just how I would have factored things to it differently)

-Love the 2 story hangar/garage. Presumably 1 for a rover and another for a flyer. While the upper hangar has an access hatch to pull replacement components, I wonder how far a guy has to run for parts for a rover down there.

- also if you ever tried to go to orbit with a vehicle parked inside, youll know it needs a lock. Either a landing gear on the rover, with lowered suspension for the lock, or what i do- a "lift" piston crane in the ceiling, using a small rotor head/piston.

- 1 last thing about the hangars. unless everything is styling in the nuclear age, needs a connector in there to recharge them batteries/refill them h2 tanks.

- refinery by the beds.. well.. i guess some engineers find that noise relaxing... ;)

- didnt spot a jump drive.

- finally.. outside docking connectors. I didnt see on the liftoff how the ship could dock to an NPC trading station, or where a small ship with ore/parts to sell/ingots to deliver can pull up and just dock to the ship to transfer... even if going into the hangar bays.

Just my input. I'm certain others would have completely different tacks on it all different from mine. :)

3. WisdomTooth100

Hello! Thanks so much for looking - I'll answer below:

-Love the 2 story hangar/garage. Presumably 1 for a rover and another for a flyer. While the upper hangar has an access hatch to pull replacement components, I wonder how far a guy has to run for parts for a rover down there. - Good point, I could easily remove one of the cryo Chambers as theres access to a cargo container behind it. The scattered lockers and crates were SUPPOSED to be for components but whether they are used for that is another thing entirely

- also if you ever tried to go to orbit with a vehicle parked inside, youll know it needs a lock. Either a landing gear on the rover, with lowered suspension for the lock, or what i do- a "lift" piston crane in the ceiling, using a small rotor head/piston.
    - I was looking at this and I was counting on the rover having landing gear itself. The second part below...

- 1 last thing about the hangars. unless everything is styling in the nuclear age, needs a connector in there to recharge them batteries/refill them h2 tanks. - massive pain this due to the way connectors can't be loaded from the side! Space economy wouldn't allow for it but I may revisit that and see what's possible...

- refinery by the beds.. well.. i guess some engineers find that noise relaxing... ;)
    - Turn it off then! :p

- didnt spot a jump drive - hidden under the bridge at the front of the ship

- finally.. outside docking connectors. I didnt see on the liftoff how the ship could dock to an NPC trading station, or where a small ship with ore/parts to sell/ingots to deliver can pull up and just dock to the ship to transfer... even if going into the hangar bays. - there is one underneath with an accessible survival station and one on top at the front where the missile launchers are but connection points are definitely lacking in this build I agree

Really the main points look to be connectors reducing functionality so I'll see what can be done, thank you

4. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

I do not get what you mean by "connectors cant be loaded from the side" <--??

FYI space economy ship side Trade mode connectors dont need to be piped to cargo to work at NPS stations. Those NPC stations work from all kinds of "cheats". This is a handy one.

5. WisdomTooth100

Sorry, I had meant that the full large block size of the connector plus another block behind it to connect it to the rest of the ships piping its a real pain to fit into smaller ships.

I have an idea or two though, I'll take a look at it just now
    --- Automerge ---
    Hullo! I've just looked the the layout and I've now got a connector in each hangar and an additional connector either side of the nacelles without losing any thrust to the refit.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.