Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

"Financing Space Engineers."

Discussion in 'General' started by Zóar, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Zóar Trainee Engineer

Dear Marek, you are probably not going to read this but I still want to express myself to see if my way of acting coincides with someone else's.

I do not like the fact that you are publishing content of the game, which should be in vanilla, to be up to the standards of current video games in the form of DLC's, (blocks and other things), but ok, okay, I am buying them all, but I am going to tell you the reason why I buy them, it is not having those blocks or having that new content, since as I said, it seems wrong to me that it is not part of the base game, I buy it to support you, so that with that money you can hire more professional people, acquire better offices, you can develop a SE2 or improve it until it seems like a new game, which is what it lacks, either get a SE2 or melt the code and do it all from 0.

As I said, I hope that all these grains of sand can make a mountain and make a better SE among all, he trusted you.

<3

• Like Like x 1
  2. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

None of the blocks in the DLC packs are mandatory and most are purely cosmetic alterations of existing blocks, some with even less features than the standard vanilla versions of the block, case and point the ATM. The game has to make money somehow to keep going or they won't be able to hire new people, do a SE2, or any of that stuff. So if not from cosmetic DLC how do you propose they make money?

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

GoFundMe?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Even with all the DLC purchased plus the deluxe edition... I'm still not up to the price of the usual AAA game title. I've consistently played the title since 2014 so I'm getting my money's worth. Maybe that's not the same for everyone else. But I want to see the game continue development. I think there may be something to 3rd party scenarios being released as DLC with some custom blocks attached.

I'd pony up $10-$20 for a cockpit pack with 10-20 variants including side-by-side and tandem. Are you listening Keen?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I fully agree with you @Ronin1973 , and I'd gladly toss my cash in the stash if I could get a small grid door (seriously, why not!?!) and/or a full set of 1x1 and 1x2 armor blocks instead of the half-baked set we have (a full 1x3 set would be simply marvelous, but unrealistic). And don't get me started with projectors and sub-grids...

6. Crimsonknight Riczen Trainee Engineer

As I track back and look what all discussion about the past DLCs, since I'm new here, it's funny too see people complain about its give away price, then before I came here, to see people wants to playing Star Citizen for example, those are people are ready to drop a hundred box just to have that thing that feeds their vanity...:woot:
    And here we are, SE, For the price way cheaper than a slap drop junk food served from fast food chains, still they cry like they their guts are slash like an old woman's purse

3 years playing with just one side sandwich vanilla to munch with, and to have a kick @ss lockers, toilets and transparent lcds... I'll buy even at 20!!!

7. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Complaining about the price costs $0.00. So people are very quick to do so over $3. Everything should be at no charge to them.

8. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

Some people feel cheated by the game in its present state. They are upset about DLC being added before adding more critical fixes. I for one abandoned this game quite a while ago, purely for instability in MP. There's almost no way to keep a server persistent, sooner or later they all need to wipe to deal with accruing issues that cannot be resolved (or due to a patch that breaks just everything).

I spent almost 2000 hours in game (granted a lot of that time was waiting for refining and moving between point A and point B, but I definitely got my money's worth out of the game I have no complaints. It's probably the most fiscally sound gaming investment that I've ever made. However....

With that said, I'll never buy another Keen product again, nor will I support any of their future endeavors. I had a friend recently ask me about this game and I told him I spent a lot of time on it, but I couldn't recommend it given the sour taste left. Frankly if they had spent less time pumping out DLC... (what's this, the fourth one???) and more time aggressively working on certain bugs and certain content that's lacking I would have probably bought DLC. But I've been watching carefully (why I'm still here in fact) and it seems they are more interested in cash grabs than anything else. I mean hell, I saw the "turrets shooting at owned grids" problem crop back up just a few months ago.... seriously how many times has that specific bug been squashed, re-added, re-squashed, zombified, resurrected, re-killed... It's laughable. And it's given me all the evidence I need to guess how KSH is going to spend their resources.

Edit - For the record I bought 4 copies of this game, one for each of my friends that like this sort of thing. They couldn't even play it consistently though due to the bugs and I was left as the last man standing.

9. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Same with me, but I'm not ready to toss out the baby with the bath water. It still has many great features, but I'm probably less upset simply because I hardly ever play MP.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020 at 01:28
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

This game has cost me so little and has provided me with 9600 hours of... well... Space Engineers.

I'm going to ride this one out and see what the next thing is. They said earlier that the next "project" will not be Early Access, so we don't get to tear it apart before it even gets started. It also means we'll get to find out what "ready for release" means to KSH.

11. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Stardriver907 Apparently "ready for release" to KSH means something like ME. :(

12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

So you spent around 1 cent an hour and it wasn't entertaining? It's been a bit of a ride. The scope of the game has changed over the last.. ummm.. SIX years as it has been an evolving game. The goal post keeps move... but with that the number of features has also increased. With an increase in features comes exponential amounts of bug squashing. It's not uncommon for the same bug to pop up over and over due to a variety of factors.

I figure if I'm spending around 50 cents per hour of gameplay, it's a decent value. The new scenario "Frost Bite" is showing some promise. It's not the same but it reminds me a bit of the very first Half-Life as you're searching for clues and features.

13. KissSh0t Master Engineer

For me, "Ready to release" means being forced to manually move save files just so the game sees them when wanting to play with steam in offline mode, a new feature I might add... this is not how the game acted in the past.

There is a combination of little small things Keen have done adding up over the past 2 years that is really starting to piss me off, and that's without including bugs that are still present since initial release as an "Early Access" game

The one thing that ticked me off majorly that was thankfully fixed was the game presenting a message that could not be turned off telling you that steam is offline.

*eye twitches*

14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

"Reload, Dr. Freeman..." - Anonymous

15. Crimsonknight Riczen Trainee Engineer

The game has alot potential to be expanded more, more features to be added, I'm still hoping for the volumetric water to come, a new block engine to propel as to the oceans, new block hover engine, enriched pve, more faunas, and a revamp of combat systems in game, and lastly, new weapon blocks.

The economy update was a great leap to the game, for the past year alot of things are added to the game.

Sad to see the people around here don't bother that it was these very small team who created these game a half decade ago, that every actions they made have operational expenses they have to sail with, for which most of people don't give a damn, and these goes for other alpha, betas and early access games...

The game mean alot to me, even playing in vanilla offline mode for more than 4years... The dlcs are a breakthrough, even for its short comings... I just wish they open the doors a bit wider, like:

1) More freedom to have all we paid for in offline mode.

2) The ability for players to atleast, interact with DLC blocks for those who don't have it.

3) It's better to have 2 sets of DLC blocks, one is for free basic vanilla, and a paid for, which are 5x better looking but fair functionality with the vanilla.

The future of SE is bright and worth waiting, I still want to buy all dlcs, regardless of raisins on top of them,

As for the Medival Engineers, its an asset they can't trash without rethinking a million times.

I understand they have to re-organize/re-structure their very small team, and focus on SE, much better than maintaining TWO open fronts at a time while stretching the resources they have with small progress in the process. I have play ME for a short time, and its a marvel to play with.

For those people already ate the dog s**t from the false prophets. I felt sorry for them...

SE is on move, regardless of the bugs, I'll support the game for next half decade or more.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Malware Master Engineer

That's already a thing and has been since they made that change for the first DLC.

Also a thing (see economy, store blocks). The DLC blocks are just visual variants - with less function, even. The rest of the DLC blocks have no new functions either, they're just decorative or variants of existing blocks. You don't get any new function with any DLC block. Now, making the blocks is far from free. It costs a lot of money. They have to sell a lot of the DLCs just to make up for the artists' time. I understand why they do it this way.

To play Devil's Advocate a little: As I understand it; ME quite simply didn't get the required player numbers to keep it afloat. It didn't sell. It was never able to match SE's playerbase, even considering the dev time. SE had far more players at the same age than ME does. If it doesn't bring the revenue, it gets canceled. That's business for you. Especially in Early Access where that income is so important.

Unfortunately, that means that they've already considered the consequences of disappointing that player base: From a pure numbers view, canceling the game and disappointing them costs less than continuing the development. Again - that's business.

I agree with those who thinks they should just have been straight-forward with this. But Keen was never good with PR.
    I also agree with those who thinks Keen should never have started on ME in the first place. Sure, they hired new people for that project, but... they weren't... heck; still isn't imo; large enough to be able to do that successfully.

17. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Yeah. Trying to make two games at once was rather ambitious. I understand them trying because, frankly, I thought it was going to work. Seems like it did for a little bit.

What disturbs me is the dishonesty. Saying the game is "out of beta" and "feature complete" is carnival barking. What's wrong with "The response to this game does not warrant further development" or something to that effect, then tell all the Modders they have your full support. They may have considered the consequences, but apparently never considered turning them into opportunities. They figured the pool of hardcore ME fans was small enough to disrespect. Well, all SE fans are at least closet ME fans sooo....

18. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

I was wondering what was up with that. My most recent attempt to play the game a few months ago was offline, I quit almost instantly when I realized it wasn't loading my save games from normal online play. I didn't even bother moving them, I just "noped" right the f out... haven't played it since. A shame too, I finally got rid of my old potato and got a fairly robust gaming rig.

19. KissSh0t Master Engineer

At this location.

C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves

Long number folder is your individual SteamID, if you actually google this number you will most probably find your Steam account profile, I did mine.

Short number folder is what KeenSWH is forcing the game to look at now when Steam is set to offline mode..... All that needs to be done is KeenSWH making the game look at the Steam ID folder when Steam is offline, that's it.. that's all they needs to do.

This change to save location to steam offline mode makes no sense, like literally none.. I am still logged into my Steam account, I can't play the game without my Steam account.

20. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

I know where they're at... I just didn't wanna deal with it, lol.