Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Fraps still any good?

Discussion in 'General' started by PyreStarite, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

I planned on making a few videos to give better coverage of my workshop items as well as a few lps for da laffs. I purchased Fraps back before Dxtory was popular and then I put it down for seemingly indefinitely. I kept hearing that Fraps was bad, with issues like file corruption and random recording stopping, and Dxtory was way better. Is Fraps any good anymore for casual video creation? Or do I need to hook up with something newer? Oh, I also still have Corel VideoStudio Pro X5.

2. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

I don't like Fraps because it costs money and there are lots of free alternatives out there. I'd be the wrong person to ask about Fraps but I know OBS (free) and Nvidia ShadowPlay(free with Nvidia) have served me well in the past :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

Plays.TV Giffer here- can confirm cancerware is worth it

4. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

I use Shadowplay when I wish to do recordings. Its Nvidia specific and requires a somewhat newer card (I think 700 series or newer).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Aldakoopa Apprentice Engineer

I used to use Plays.TV when I made my videos. I hated the software it came with (raptr) and got rid of it as soon as AMD introduced Relive. Now I'll use that if I ever feel like making a video.

So basically, either GPU manufacturer has its own built-in recording software in the drivers, so long as you choose to install it when updating your drivers.

6. ForbUoutFunk Trainee Engineer

Fraps is not good enough when recording while playing games. The FPS dramatically drop, around 5 to 10. I recommend to use Camtasia studio. The latest version is Camtasia Studio 9 which can not only record videos but also edit videos. http://discover.techsmith.com/camta...Ba1eJl-8PZhOuz_1fSHFGWt7K9ndBHEzGxxoCx5zw_wcB this is the free trial you can download. When you using it your recorded file will be save as CAMREC or TREC, to stream it to your portable devices your need to convert to avi or mp4 first. If you meet this kind of issue you can refer to http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/camrec-to-avi.html.

7. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Bandicam is pretty good, nothing like Fraps which records absurdly large files.. it's also very light on system resources... to the point that I sometimes forget I'm even recording while gaming.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.