Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

gatlings vs rockets

Discussion in 'Balancing' started by Sagi, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sagi Apprentice Engineer

I have the feeling thet especially compared with its's resources gatlings are way overpowered compared to missiles.
    Another odd thing i find is that because there is no platinum to be found on planets it is impossible to build missiles unless you get off the planet (or play with meteors) This looks a bit strange to me...

I think gatlings should be more powerfull vs turrets and functional blocks but far less (perhaps even not at all) effective vs (heavy) armour blocks. Whilst missiles are less effective against funtional blocks bot more against armour blocks.
    Another question i don't even know the answer to, apart from range and ammo type, is there a damage diffrence between interior turrets and gatling turrets?

Off course there are tons of mods oud there but i like to keep the conversation to vanilla gameplay only.

2. odizzido Junior Engineer

Rockets are too slow, visible, and easy to dodge. Even if they did ten times as much damage as they do now they wouldn't be very good against anything that can move simply because they will never hit. Anything player controlled at least. If missiles could home in on stuff that might make them more useful.

Sort of on topic, gatling rounds are way too slow as well. The regular old 5.56x45 rounds we use today travel at 900-1000m/s compared to maybe around 400m/s for rounds in SE.

Either way the material costs for pretty much everything in SE needs to be redone to make sense.

3. Sagi Apprentice Engineer

And what do you think of gatling guns not being able or hardly do any damage against heavy armour blocks for example.
    Cuzz a few gatling guns can eat trought the thickest of armour pretty fast especially when it's stationary.

4. odizzido Junior Engineer

I am not sure actually. The rounds being shot are not pistol rounds they're 25x184 which says anti tank to me.

Gameplay wise it would mean any combat ship would have to be made out of heavy armour which would also mean gatlings would be a trap for new players. Not sure that's a good idea. I think it would be better to improve rockets.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.