1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Hardcore Survival and Cargo Pods

Discussion in 'General' started by Therolt, Mar 9, 2019.

?

Drop pod items

1. I would like a wider range of potential items

2. I think the current items are enough

3. Other/The real issue lies elsewhere

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Therolt

Therolt Trainee Engineer

Hi guys. I made a similar post on the survival discussion board, but I'm writing a new one here in hopes that I reach some different people that could give me some feedback on this.

I have been toying around with a scenario of sorts - Maybe some of you have been here before.

You destroy/abandon whatever you spawned in and make your way onto the surface of "earth" with only the three starting tools in your inventory.
    Then you proceed to take full advantage of every encounter the game throws at you. Scrapping all the useful bits and focusing on keeping yourself alive until you have enough components to build something meaningful.

The scenario above also works out if someone just destroyed the key components of your ship or you make some serious blunders. Some people don't enjoy just giving up there.

I had a fairly successful run before the release of the game, but some of the new additions and changes throw some major spanners into the works.

The Current "Experience"

Firstly, Cargo Pods (unknown signals) are the staple of your diet. Everything early-midgame comes from these.
    They used to have uranium reactors and uranium in them.
    This solves your power issues entirely and you could scrap them and rebuild them somewhere else.
    Not anymore now that they only have batteries.
    Additionally, even if they had reactors, the progression tree locks it behind being able to build batteries.

So you could go about disabling that feature of the game but that's not what I'm all about. We can make arguments about the structure of the progression tree, but even in disabling the progression tree, there are some key items we are missing.

We are unable to obtain Girders, Solar Cells and Power Cells (or) Medical Components.
    The first three items are required for a source of power.
    The latter item you can rig to an existing source of power in order to make the former (by building off an existing cargo pod - they have full battery on spawn).

I'm at the stage where I have accepted my fate - there will be no crafting whatsoever while I'm on earth.
    Yes, there is a method where I can reach space.
    Progression: O2/H2 Generator > Hydrogen Tank > Hydrogen Thruster

There is a wider range of potential encounters while in space that isn't just an unknown signal.

The new problem: Hydrogen tanks require 40 Large Steel Tubes.
    There are two possible Cargo Pods that spawn with these components - one with two Gyroscopes, and one with a single Atmospheric Thruster.

Basically I have to leave milk and cookies out for Father Christmas and pray to RNGesus for the optimal one to spawn every 7-20 minutes.

My proposal

What I want is not for this to be the most viable play-style, nor a profitable one - but something that doesn't require such absurd amounts of time and luck.

I'm not asking to increase the frequency of the drop pods - I'd just like them to contain more useful items. At the moment they just contain (within the cargo container) components that are only useful when you already have the special parts to make a machine.

Cargo Pod drop table currently:
    • Steel Plates
    • Interior Plates
    • Motors
    • Construction Components
    • Enhanced Drill, Enhanced Grinder, Enhanced Welder.
    I propose that more components are added to this list:
    • Large Steel Tubes
    • Small Steel Tubes
    • Girders
    • Power Cells
    • Solar Cells
    I could also add Medical Components to that list, but it contains resources that are not contained within the above components (silver) and it would be easier for me to recommend a tweak or variant to the existing Survival Kit.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. PLPM

PLPM Junior Engineer

Maybe we could have some faction specific that say "keep out" and are armed, and have much more rich inventories. Maybe parachute some different equipment, rovers, a pod that drills for a bit, etc, shake up the variety.

The one that flies off is nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That's why, when I'm playing "naked", I like to turn on wolves and spiders. Those suckers are cargo pods and often carry large numbers of steel plates, computers, displays, motors, large steel tubes, and power cells, although I've never found one with girders or solar cells. You can make girders with a basic assembler pretty easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Therolt

Therolt Trainee Engineer

Wait, wolves actually have a drop table? This is news to me. I've never had them enabled because the AI for them has always been total ass and they would come out of nowhere to ruin my parade when I'm just chilling out thinking about the shape of that hill in front of me.
    I'll give that a shot but it might be rough and I'll have to take them out using a grinder since guns and ammo aren't something you can get without an assembler. I constructed a supply of hydrogen and I have self healing on though so it can't be that bad.

Atm I'm trying to register an account to make a feedback request but its being a pain and it won't send me a verification email... :?

5. Spaceman Spiff

Oh, yeah, baby! It's almost a cheat to have them on. When I run out of ammo, I take 'em on with a hand grinder, but always from the back to keep away from their pearly whites.

6. Therolt

Therolt Trainee Engineer

Seen one wolf so far and had 3 unknown signals in the meantime. It came up through the corner of my screen and as I turned to face it and charge, it just vanished. Do they spawn more on grass or something? This lake I'm set up on is great for visibility but they don't seem to be taking the bait.

[​IMG]

I'd trade half of these pods for just a few wolves.

7. Spaceman Spiff

I initiated a "Naked Start" about half an hour ago. I've looted two pods, but no wolves at all. That's curious. I've found deposits of iron, nickel, cobalt, silicon, silver, and ice. Even though the power drain on my suit is really slo-o-o-ow, I recharged each time using the pod's small battery (putting on a passenger seat; yes, I disabled progression). I don't know how to keep a pod battery from self-destructing. I changed ownership, but that didn't solve the problem. So, as you've said, power is a problem. Neither pods nor wolves (nor spiders) will provide girders, but will occasionally have power cells. I'll keep trying and see if I can chance upon one or more. To be continued...

8. Therolt

Therolt Trainee Engineer

Alt F10 > Trash Removal > General > Uncheck Everything, Submit. I've got loads of debris and bits still existing in the world and I check on it every so often in the entities list. I've had no despawns so far so its been working well for me.
    Trash removal should really let you set defaults before starting a game really. Its a pain to have to do it on every fresh save and barely anyone knows it exists.
    When you get enough to make two connectors and 2(complete) wheels, it becomes feasible to construct a rover. Being able to go faster than 10m/s is something anyone would begin to appreciate.

Edit: Just got ambushed by 6 wolves...
    They have the same attack behaviours that the barbarians had in Medieval Engineers and running odd circles around them seems to work just as well.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  9. Spaceman Spiff

That's a great idea that I never considered. Thanks! Wolves are certainly more sparse (I haven't seen one yet) since this new update. Normally, if you stand still more than half a minute or so the wolves are all over you like democrats after a welfare check! (Wait...can I say that??) Anyway, nothing so far. I confess I'm disappointed with the lack of my puppy time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Therolt

Therolt Trainee Engineer

Wow man, you're being a bit harsh on the wolves... At least they're working for their meal. I'd say you should be careful about that kind of thing but we probably want to provoke them here...

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, my bad. Still no wolves. Maybe they're a'scared of me?

12. Therolt

Therolt Trainee Engineer

13. Spaceman Spiff

Thumbs-up from me. :tu:

14. vadersson

vadersson Trainee Engineer

Wolves do seem scares. Our first base was on earth and I think I saw 3 wolves over several days. No packs either, just singles. So small a number that we don't even carry guns.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.