Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Help converting png to 16-bit dds

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jugbot, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Jugbot Apprentice Engineer

After spending forever trying to find a program that could convert pngs to 16-bit dds, I discovered that the Photoshop plugin is the only one that does more than 8 bits per channel.
    Sadly, FOR SOME REASON, Photoshop does not export anything with a 16-bit red channel as shown below:

[​IMG]

So how in the world do I export to dds with a 16-bit red channel?! this would be so much easier if we could use pngs directly or maybe even allow floating point for higher accuracy on world creation.

*If anyone doesn't know why this is a problem, 8 bit height maps which are imported into ME create low resolution terrain which looks odd at bigger extents.

2. Jugbot Apprentice Engineer

Just to clarify, on the left of the drop down pane it shows the bits per channel. I want 16 bit red not 16f bit red. 16f is stored as a double from (1.00-0.00) and not as an int (0-255).

3. Jugbot Apprentice Engineer

It seems as though this problem is as hard to solve as I thought :/
    ME Devs, I need your help!!

4. Bullethead Apprentice Engineer

For those who don't already own Photoshop, it's no longer available in any form except a never-to-be-sufficiently-damned cloud-based subscription service. You can't even get a demo without signing up for a cloud account, and the demo only lasts 30 days. So Photoshop is totally a non-starter for any sort of grassroots, community-driven map-making effort.

5. Bullethead Apprentice Engineer

It would be REALLY nice if Keen either released a utility that converted PNG or BMP files to 16bpc DDS, or revised the map generator to use PNG files directly.

6. Bullethead Apprentice Engineer

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  7. Bullethead Apprentice Engineer

YUp, the convert_all.py script in the ModSDK is all you need. Works great on 16bpc TIFF files.

1. Download the ME ModSDK
    2. The ModSDK has a Tools\TextureTool folder in it. Create 2 subfolders in that called Source and DDS.
    3. Put your 16bpc TIFF files in the Source folder.
    4. Run the convert_all.py script (after you install the latest version of Python, of course)
    5. Wait however long it takes depending on the size of the TIFF files.
    6. Eventually (long after the DOS window for the convert_all.py script closes with nothing else seemingly happening), the DDS files will appear in the DDS folder.

8. d3x0r Apprentice Engineer

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.