Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How to setup a DS without a static IP?

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by Eun Sik Kim, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Eun Sik Kim Trainee Engineer

I want to make a small DS to play with some friends but I do not have a static IP. I tried contacting my ISP but it did not go well. I tried googling and found out pages like NOIP where I can get a dynamid dns (I do not have any knowledge of how this works and what is that lol) but I do not know how to set it up. I would greatly appreciate if I can get an step by step kind of guide.

2. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Just set it up. I run a DS from a dynamic IP for years and it seems that the new IP is always synchronised in the server browser. I think it's steam in the background that's resposible for that.

3. Eun Sik Kim Trainee Engineer

How do you make other people log in though, because when I set up my DS it only shows in LAN.

4. ibisgrunk Apprentice Engineer

whatismyip.com gives your external IP, then its port access etc. - see http://www.medievalengineerswiki.com/index.php?title=Keen:Dedicated_Server_Configuration
    >>> now the question is do you have a router or cable modem only?

"NAT is Network Address Translation. It translates traffic from one IP to another. An example: NATing your WAN IP 1.2.3.4 to your internal webserver 192.168.0.1.

Port forwarding (sometimes called PAT - Port Address Translation) is similar, but it functions on the port level. You can forward port 80 from your WAN IP to your internal webserver, for example. You can also forward to a different port - i.e. port 8080 on the WAN is forwarded to port 80 on your internal web server."

go to your router* settings and nat translate your external IP into your PC or the server game port also can be directly pointed to - i am making this up from memory, you are taking an external IP that is dynamic and forwarding necessary game ports so that those other guys can see you local PC server host. you local PC address becomes the external one... dont make me look this Nat Translate and stuff up! OK too late i did, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding

[you dont need a static IP, just understand your external IP address can change which means other users have to change where their server host IP is... same as if your cell phone number could change at any time, you reach out with new IP and they update.] [do not buy a static IP to run ME]

5. Eun Sik Kim Trainee Engineer

I currenty have a setup of Cable modem and router. So by what you saying, port forwarding the port 27016 is just enough? Because I followed the DS guide in the wiki page and still my game is only discoverable by LAN and also I can not invite my friends. Also I am currently waiting for my new router to arrive because the one I am using is not mine, so I will test it again.

6. ibisgrunk Apprentice Engineer

if you are doing a small server dont bother with a DS, just make a Friends Only game within the game menu itself. up in 30 seconds, imho... a dedicated server is too much unless your utilizing a second PC with a great CPU or some purpose? -- imho --

there are a hundred things to go wrong (server steam ID, local cable connections, Router vs Cable Modem, etc.) versus nothing going wrong just setting the game up inside of ME, dont bother with DS unless you are doing like 8+ players... the fact this isnt your own router makes me run for the help desk exit! just boot the game and go from there...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CptTwinkie Moderator

Me too and I'm getting paid for this.

The only real consideration of using a DS is do you need the game to always be running for your friends? If yes, then use a DS. If you and your friends always play together at the same time then you don't need a DS.

As for the DS requirements:
    don't worry about dynamic IP. unless your service provider really likes to mess with your connection your IP address probably doesn't change very often.
    for port forwarding all you are doing is clearing a route for someone on the internet to connect to your server.
    On a router this means port forwarding: you set up a rule that is like "if someone on the internet tries to connect to 27016 then that traffic should be forwarded to your PC"
    On your PC you will want to check windows firewall and make sure there is an Incoming rule that allows UDP connections on 27016
    Make sure you don't have something silly like antivirus with net firewall. If you do you will probably have to work hard to force it to completely ignore the game traffic.

After that try running steam://connect/IP_ADDRESS:27016 to connect to it
    get your ip from https://www.whatismyip.com/

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.