Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Hydrogen Thruster Control Script

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Spaceman Spiff, May 20, 2020.

1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I know I've seen a script in the Workshop that optimally controls hydrogen thrusters for a flight from a planet to space in such a way to minimize hydrogen consumption, but I now can't find it. Can anyone help by posting a link?

2. Calaban Junior Engineer

I had a suspicion that the VTOL thruster controls (auto controls thrusters on a rotor subgrid) would do it.. did a little searching in the workshop...

... but then i found this
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2030693159&searchtext=h2+thruster+smoke

and must now immediately go play with it instead. Sorry.

I dont speak C# very well, but such a script would seem simple. Something like:
    -Increase thrust override 10%
    - check current speed- is >98.00?
    - If so, then reduce thrust override -10%
    - Loop

then it would do what a pilot driving the thing up there on overrides would be doing... reducing the thrust override to just keep the ship barely pushed at max speed (reducing it as gravity decreases)

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That's the thruster smoke mod, and not quite what I'm looking to find. Thanks, anyway...

4. Mollymawk Apprentice Engineer

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Awesome! Thanks!!

6. Mollymawk Apprentice Engineer

Don't thank me, thank whiplash.. last time I looked this was not in the workshop,
    I think there may be a more complex Whip script that includes the same speed limit function..

7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Blarg's Ascent Cruise Control script (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1316048908) is the best one I found so far, but the "swap" feature to tell it to use rear thrusters instead of bottom thrusters doesn't seem to work. I designed my ship with stronger rear thrusters than bottom thrusters, so I'm a bit bummed that it's DOA. I'll keep looking though.

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I've only found one other: nicknds's NDS Ascent Control script (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1833381113). This script works really well to utilize the most powerful thrusters all the time. So, for my new ship, it uses the bottom thrusters (because of the largo atmospheric thrusters) until they start to lose efficiency at altitude, then it rotates the ship on its end and uses the rear thrusters to complete the journey to space. It works wonderfully except that it does not switch off unnecessary thrusters during the ascent. As an example, if I use the script to exit the Earthlike planet's gravity well, I consume 58% of the hydrogen in my tanks, but if I manually fly the ship, systematically switching off thruster banks along the way, I only consume 30% of the hydrogen in the tanks.

Can anyone help with a script that'll optimize the ascent to space?

9. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

I really wish autopilot did this. Been a while since I used it but I seem to remember it looking like it was blasting half the ship thrusters at full power continuously. Seems like autopilot should be smart enough to use fuel efficiently.

10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I wish, I wish, I wish. And I wish more that I had the time (and inclination) to learn the idiosyncrasies of C++ so I could just write the script myself. Sigh.

11. hippybaker Trainee Engineer

Did you try manually disabling reverse thrusters while script is running?

12. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

The NDS script doesn't fire the reverse thrusters at all during the ascent phase, at least, it didn't look like they were firing to me.

13. hippybaker Trainee Engineer

Gotcha.. It was a shot in the dark... I know some other pilot scripts fire all the thrusters like all the time.. I thought maybe yours might have coasting issues too...