Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

I figured out why some encounter ships have wheel suspension as "landing gear"

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Calaban, May 17, 2020.

1. Calaban Junior Engineer

I was flying a "Small" Encounter cargo Freighter (small is a joke bc is has twice the large cargo containers than the RUST freighter does- Id hate to see what a large one is then).

I was cruising along pretty high over an Earthlike desert- seeing how lander-worthy it was- when suddenly whoop- ice and tanks ran out.

At that point I was flying very much the same way that a brick.. doesn't. (Credit: Douglas Adams)

I didnt want to lose the ship (spent a looong time getting it back fully assembled), but had time to think about it as I fell...

- Still had gyro control. check
    - Parachutes? none. Time to make and assemble some chutes mid-fall? Epic sounding, but not enough time.

The ground was coming up fast.. I could start to see the boulders. Think! THINK!

There has to be SOMETHING I can do... scrolling up and down the Kontrol panel...

Giving up hope.. planning to hit the ground on the "least essential corner" then it hit me. The suspension!

I hurriedly made a control group as cliff sides were already sweeping past my canopy windows, adding it to my toolbar quickly with shaking mouse pointers. Oh, man, this was gonna be CLOSE.

FWOOMP! added "oh crap, I'm crashing" deployable wheels!! = airbags/crumple zones!!

And thud. 1x1 Wheel frames just added and pointing down lower than anything else on the belly of this ship took most of the impact, and after that shock and they vaporized, by the time the landing gear (set to autolock) between them reached the ground, it was able to lock and stop my crash.

A-Mazing. I was more or less intact (a few things on fire, some suspension detonated). Why had I never thought of that? And more importantly- was that built like that on purpose??

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

I'll admit this sounds like something that warrants experimentation. For science, of course.

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

The suspension was killing me while reading that story.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Damn you Spiff.

Heh, that's crazy Calaban. That is something that we should do some experimenting with. I thought they just stuck 'em on cuz they looked cool. Interesting.

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I just built a ship that uses a couple 1x1 suspensions (one on each side) of my three landing gear. If nothing else, it looks pretty cool.