1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Is it a dream coming true? Better multigrid integration (publictest build)

Discussion in 'General' started by lgustavomp, Aug 5, 2020.

1. lgustavomp

lgustavomp Trainee Engineer

Oh boy, I don't know if it was a developer mistake, but PLEASE, don't take this "feature" out.

Sorry, let me explain. Basically you can now fit 5x5x5 cube of small blocks inside a 1x1x1 large block space. I mean armor blocks, not only blast door blocks. I just locked the rotor, enabled share inertia tenson e shifted the rotor read displacement to 0.08. Everything is looking stable, even doing some unnecessarily extreme maneuvers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    It's a bit janky on slopes but I think the problem is on the piston. I dunno

[​IMG]

2. mojomann71

mojomann71 Senior Engineer

We have always (well almost always) have been able to build small blocks off a rotor in a large grid.

It's nothing new.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

It would be pretty cool if we could use small blocks on large blocks, then we could built cooler looking cockpits instead of huge flat surfaces of empty space.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Directly connecting small blocks to large blocks will require imaginary numbers like eleventeen and thirty-nothing. I'm not sure KSH can handle that level of programming.

5. lgustavomp

lgustavomp Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]
    nope... not in the same way. Try to place 5x5 small armor blocks inside a 1x1 large grid void between large armor (like the img below). Using an older version or a non publictest branch is impossible/unstable.

[​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    skywanderers (renamed recently to starship evo) has managed to do that. But obviously their code and engine are completely different than SE.

6. ShadedMJ

ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

I've always hear the attachment points become an issue. A large-grid armor block has 6 attachment points (one for each side or 6x1), so in order to put small block anywhere except the middle would require more attachment points (5x5 per side or 150 total). But then if you put two large-grid blocks together they are now joined by not 1 attachment point but 150 attachment points and generally won't ever come apart under constant weapon fire.

I've talked to about 5 players who think its going to be easy to join the block sizes together as a mod, which is fairly easy to set up, but nobody can get over the impervious block issue.

7. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Splitsie made a video about changes to the collision boxes around grids. It should help.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

This is by far the best update keen have released in years.

If keen can fix the collision for the button panel that would be even more super.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020