Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Important Keen Space Stream with Marek Rosa

Discussion in 'General' started by Drui, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Drui Keen Update Guy Staff

This week we are preparing a very special update for you! The release will come on Friday and will be followed by a Twitch stream with Marek Rosa and physics programmers on the Keen Community Network at 7PM CET.

acdnt.hex_1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Awesome. It sounds like you guys have a lot in store for us all!

Thank you for delaying the update to make sure it gets some extra testing and polish. I know a few people here were disappointed with the delay but IMO it's always worth the wait when developers put extra time into making sure an update is properly done and not half-baked. :)

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

I see something new!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. JimTheSoundman Trainee Engineer

I agree with Syncaidius, I always think "Get it right the first time" is the best motto. I'd rather wait a week or two or three or four for everything to be thoroughly tested, rather than have a buggy update that renders the game unplayable.

It's better now that you can roll back an update, but there have been times in the past where an update would totally break the game and I'd be unable to do anything until the hotfix or the next patch came out. That drove me insane.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Malware Master Engineer

Pfff... Don't forget you're talking about software engineering. One can't write "Hello World" and get it right the first time... :p

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
  5. DominicFalcon Trainee Engineer

Or quicksort. Even JavaScript didn't get Array.object.sort() right the first time...

6. PrioroftheOri Trainee Engineer

You guys are always so quick to defend the shotty update release methods that have been done time and again. The point he is trying to make is that you don't have to show the world your failed attempt at saying "Hello World" until you finally get it right. I shouldn't have to explain that...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

HYPE!

• Like Like x 1
  8. theorytard Trainee Engineer

I love the look of those ships and I hope that turret is not a mod.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Wooo new red and blue ships! Also, is it me or does that asteroid look good and stuff?

10. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I'm 99 percent sure i know that mod. The real question is whether they're making it Vanilla or not. From the looks of it i'm pretty sure it's unchanged so i call "oops, that's a mod".

Edit: i'm trying to find it; it looks like one of the Star Wars Turbolaser or FLAK mods. I might be completely wrong but i'm damn sure i saw that particular turret (or one VERY close to it) just this week in a stream.

Edit 2; nevermind; i probably saw one of
    these: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=785762364&searchtext=turret
    or these
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=897525573&searchtext=turret

[​IMG]

Still hope it's a mod because if it isn't... well.... might be a new Missile Turret or a new turret alltogether. Neither of which makes me overly happy. I don't like how Keen sometimes focus on fighting and forget the engineering or simple building aspect of the game but even I admit that if there's ONE thing the combat system lacks then it's a Big Boom Boom capital ship cannon, not a third (fourth?) turret which is just going to shoot off your own nacelle. Alternatively, if it's a new Missile Turret, it's wasting resources on a block that already got a (fairly alright) block redesign, which is particularly urksome to me because neither the original new block NOR the new design really change how the turret sticks out like a sore thumb. So... yeah. I hope it's a mod.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  11. Khlowd Trainee Engineer

Unfortunately that's just a winning screenshot from the screenshot competition :( So it's probably not a new vanilla turret.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Malware Master Engineer

And I shouldn't have to explain that I'm not defending anyone, in fact I'm not talking about Keen or SE at all, just making an inside joke for those with some experience of software engineering - who would recognize this instantly ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

What is that on the back of the red ship? *drools* :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: So they're a mod. Boo.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  14. Chaosrex Apprentice Engineer

One of these...

[​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=785762364&searchtext=turret

Poeple should chill about those screenshots, those are from the Screenshot competion from 2-3 weeks ago, there was a category "recreate a classic SE screen/video content".

Its a recreation of the famous first screenshots with the "new" blocks destructions and deformation engine from back then

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

Hope this is the update that ends the wait.

16. Roxette Senior Engineer

I suspect that rather depends on whether you are waiting for just a major update or working multiplayer servers with more than 4 players connected and sane sim speed :>

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

> Implying that Javascript is a well designed language that isn't riddled with mistakes and bad decisions
    One word: "Wat"

The thing about software engineering is that you can never be totally sure something works.
    Bugs have a habit of comming out of seemingly nowhere and there are so many factors to consider.
    Something as simple as a driver update for one particular model of GPU could cause a crash.
    Sometimes there are bugs that only ever come up once in a blue moon and/or require very specific conditions to be found.
    There's no such thing as truly exhaustive testing because software is forever changing, something could work fine for years and then suddenly fall over because of some unpredictable change.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Thrak Junior Engineer

And yet, I think we can all agree that it's a good thing Keen is taking more time to refine and test this "very special update." I think we can all understand why some are skeptical considering how some major roll-outs past have been rather buggy. Yes, Early Access. Yes, it's the Way Things Are in Software Development, etc. But the impression left on the non-programmer player (who, I would argue, make up a majority of players) is understandable.

I am excited to see what this update has in store for a game I genuinely enjoy. As I've said elsewhere, I will also likely be rolling back to the current version until all the kinks are ironed out of this "very special update." That's not casting shade, it's just pragmatic.

19. DominicFalcon Trainee Engineer

Naw, that's JS working according to spec (no matter how silly the spec may be). This was an actual bug.

Indeed. Remember, NASA crashed a probe by using feet instead of meters...

• Like Like x 1
  20. abrtn00101 Trainee Engineer

Looks like it's a physics update, but I wish they'd sneak a lighting update in there too. The lighting in those pictures is.....

21. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Two of the five items listed as "Started" on the feedback site have to do with lighting, so I think it's reasonable to assume that general lighting improvements are in the works, if not in this update.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. Thrak Junior Engineer

Yeah, physics is it seems to be. But if what @Chaosrex said earlier in this thread is accurate, if those are user-submitted pics, I would not assume lighting is coming in this update any more than those obviously modded turrets are. I presume it's a skybox mod.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Captain Broadstairs Apprentice Engineer

I know that screenshot is using mods, but if anybody at KHS is taking notes a lot of us got quite excited there for a moment, a little texture tune up on some of these mod's and incorporation into the base game would make a lot of people very, very happy......just saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

PSA: Apparently the stream's been moved up to one hour EARLY. (6 PM Keen-Time, that's CET if i remember correctly)

Incidentally that means i'll miss all of it since that's when i travel home from work.

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

That's if you believe that probe was "lost". Remember what the probe was supposed to be able to see? Thing gets all the way to Mars and THEN crashes because someone used feet instead of meters? Really? Who uses anything but the metric system for spacecraft? Or any scientific pursuit for that matter? Who would spend that much money on a one-shot deal and be that cavalier about precision? Who saw the probe crash? Where's the wreckage?

All I know is, we don't talk about the face on Mars any more.

• Funny Funny x 4
  26. mos Apprentice Engineer

Oh, so finish work on time tomorrow it is then. Hopefully that works out alright.

On a sidenote, now you have me cautiously hyped :woot:

27. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

I find non-programmer players tend to be like that in general though, for most games at even the slightest bugs.
    They pile on pressure to get something done ASAP and then complain when a rushed fix ends up missing something.

I'm not saying keen hasn't made some daft mistakes in the past, but what I am saying is that those mistakes are understandable. Writing software is hard to begin with, maintaining a codebase the size of SE is especially hard. Sometimes gamers don't have anywhere near enough respect for how hard it is.

It's incredibly silly.

Ah, it's like the old saying.
    "There are two hard things in programing: naming things, cache invalidation and off-by-one errors."

It was pound-seconds rather than newton-seconds (assuming you mean the Climate Orbiter and not some other disaster). I know that one well, it's the example Bjarne stroustrup gave when discussing the benefits of strong typing and introducing C++11's user-defined literals and explaining how they could be used to usefully handle SI units. I think that was in one of his 2012 talks, but can't remember exactly.

TL;DR: Yep, programming is hard.

Also I'd happily do away with most non-metric units.
    Especially inches - I hate trying to buy circuit boards online and finding the board dimensions are given in inches.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  28. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I remember trying to use Stroustrup's textbook on C++, and finding that all his code had invalid syntax. Including "Hello World".

29. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

Must...build...more...solar...panels....

just in case

-Morloc

30. Thrak Junior Engineer

Absolutely. True for completed, AAA games, too. I used to be a volunteer moderator on the old Bioware forums, once upon a time.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.