Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Lost Colony Scenario- loved it

Discussion in 'General' started by Calaban, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Calaban Junior Engineer

So I just "finished" the Lost colony start. wow.

It took some getting used to no Jetpack, but once acclimated (tricky building a wind turbine tower with no jetpack it turns out) things went well.

Not really going to spoil the story, discovered through datapads.. but want to talk about how I and any of you approached the challenge. So...

Here's how I did it:

- Setup camp in first stop little base.
    - visited town
    - visited power plant, found the Big Job.
    - got to work on Big Job
    - Stole the power plants' double cargo truck
    - explored town a lot.
    - grew slightly horrified
    - discovered a datapad in one of the logistic offices listing "geological survey" score! gps for ores in area!
    - started hand mining and building up of base camp
    - nearby house had a mined cave nearby it, while creeping around the cave, jumped to see/hear bullet sparks off of the walls as I walked around (!!) never found the defender, never actually got shot, but eek was creepy under that Clang-o-Lantern moon (bug/scripted event? anyone else see this?)
    - eventually added full assembler and full refinery to base, + 4 more turbines on roofs
    - drove around following up on datapad links to this and that- quite a lot to see
    - needed to up my mining game- as the Big Job needed a LOT of materials
    - found and stole a mining truck- didnt care for it, but of course filled it up with ore and brought it to base
    - needed to up my mining game, so stole a jeep-car and modified it to be a atmo flyer miner (removed wheels, added thrusters and battery, piped drills to nose) I wanted to keep the aesthetics of the car design (I got to tinker, yay!), and just make it a sky-car that was recognizeable
    - discovered why one datapad talked about "difficult flight approach paths"
    - armed my flying miner, engaged occasional turret
    - Flew flying miner and mobile respawn truck around in pairs- really could have used a partner
    - had to break into the silver mine, basically raided it.
    - mined and assembled towards finishing the Big Job.
    - had all parts ready.. only how to deliver it?
    - modified power plants double cargo truck to have +3 more cargo to fit all parts.
    - carefully lumbered severely overloaded truck to plant, and finished big job, pulling parts through garage connector
    - Finished Big Job, other rooms in town were opened
    - explored more and immediately got the story.
    - kept helmet visor down rest of scenario -but too late
    - was a little mad, and went to explore newly marked locations to learn the "who-the-WTF?!" story
    - found a police truck with turret on top- score!
    - brought police truck to base camp and kit-bashed the mobile respawn and police truck into a slightly up-armored Police-respawn truck
    - launched the investigation police lights flashing :)
    - visited the mountaintop antenna. had a 6-er, enjoyed the view.
    - flew around visiting other buildings I missed- picked up little stories of here and there. Them colonists werent getting along too well it seems
    - finally got to the End site. Wow. enjoyable crawl through the complex. Finished the story
    - so inevitable "now what?"
    - I drove/flew around area looking for things to see/do a bit
    - tried to power on the antenna tower to see if it did anything
    - started to forget this or that.. not really sure of what anymore
    - forgot to work the contracts in the town.. never did build that.. whatever it was I was supposed to do..
    - caught myself staring at the screen blankly a bit.
    - I feel like I came here to actually do something. but....
    - went to find a warm place to lie down
    - the end.

Was a really cool story, and scenario with different approaches to take towards finishing, means its replayable as i try different things

What I reeeeaaaaallly liked was the meta of how the scenario ends.. the player just lays in bed, logs off and never returns.. it FITS with the STORY of just what happened to that colony!

I may have missed some things too in my playthrough, and may not have actually finished it.

What do you think? what did you try? how did you Do? before.. you know...

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

For dummies like me, what is the Lost Colony scenario? Can you provide a link?

3. Calaban Junior Engineer

Its the 6th Anniversary update:

main new game menu

First Jump tutorial
    [other one i forget]
    Never Surrender
    Lost Colony

4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Oh-h-h-h-h-h-h-h...[slaps head]...of course! Thanks!!