Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

ME broke itself and I'm not getting much help.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mauricio, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Mauricio Trainee Engineer

The game worked fine for years and now suddenly it doesn't. I haven't made any significant changes to my pc and all other games work fine which tells me this is an ME problem, I wish I could get more help than this. https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/i-swear-this-game-hates-me.7398943/
    I really like the game and was really looking forward to this last update. :(

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

What does it do that 'doesn't work' ?
    I see in the log the game starts, runs and produces a save.
    Did you take the Captains advice and try a fresh INSTALL of your graphics drivers? This would be different from a roll back or update.
    Are you getting a crash?
    Does it white screen?
    "I can't '_'" is a horrible description of the problem.
    Lets start with a simple description of what a game does when you load it, along with the logs to the game.
    Its a lot more helpful if you give details as to what you see when attempting to start the game. There should be no need to delete app files, reinstall the game or any other actions until the problem is accurately diagnosed. At best; right click in Steam/Properties and verify integrity of the cache, this will verify the correct files are installed.
    Hopefully this helps, lets get it working.

3. Mauricio Trainee Engineer

Did you bother to read the original thread I linked?

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Yup, sorry; " will still continuously freeze after reaching 100% loading, once it froze at 90%, "
    How long are you waiting for the game to load before killing the task?
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling NVIDIA?

5. Mauricio Trainee Engineer

You still haven't read it all.

6. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

So you did not do a clean NVIDA install?
    --- Automerge ---
    because NVidia has no app data folder to delete, and there are multiple NVidia programs to uninstall and reinstall.
    Try this when you have time and see if it works.
    --- Automerge ---
    want to add;
    While alt+tab ing out and then reopening the game during loading at a certain point I have had the game twice produce a white screen for a few minutes before the game loaded any graphics, I thought my game had froze, so I wondered if you had this also.

7. Mauricio Trainee Engineer

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia graphics controller and it's still not working, I have even tried running it with the PhysX program uninstalled and still, not working. I don't think I have to uninstall the installer do I, at this point I honestly don't think its Nvidia.

The app data folder mentioned was the ME one.

I haven't alt tabed when trying to load worlds, and haven't experienced what you mentioned, and again as stated in the other thread I've waited for as long as 6 minutes for it to load so I'm pretty sure it won't load, especially since it had never before taken so long.

I just don't understand how Nvidia would suddenly just decide that ME and only ME will not work, there where no updates done, the game simply stoped working for no obvious reason. How does only one game of the many I have, stop working on its own? It wasn't even the .6 update since I was able to run it a couple short times to test it and it was working fine, but after the first or second patch it broke, the only thing I did was sub to a couple mods on the workshop ran the game and now it didn't want to load worlds, I don't think mods had anything to do with it right? I mean could an old mod break the game to the point of not even having to load the mod but leave the game broken? Its the only thing I can think of, honestly I cant understand what went wrong.

8. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Doubt its mods, the render log shows textures and meshes being overwritten - graphics, could there be something in NVidia settings? I know you can set some things to be overwritten or application controlled, but unsure of how this would apply to your situation. Really hoped it would have been the install.

9. Mauricio Trainee Engineer

How or why would Nvidia settings randomly change? and why would they do this to ME specifically?

10. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Not saying there were changes, saying there may be something you can change but not sure because I don't play with my settings either. I've been trying to find more information on the problem, but google mostly gives me Skyrim modding crap. Going with the Captain is right though, those errors are coming from somewhere.
    --- Automerge ---
    Currently I am doing a side by side comparison of my render log with yours, and to my surprise I have many of the exact same errors yet my game displays.
    Your log is only three minutes, mine is thirty. Could you load up a game and let it run for a bit longer and post the logs? (Doesn't have to be thirty, just gimme ten if you can)
    I'll share mine and hopefully we can spot a discrepancy, or maybe the guys will see something helpful.
    --- Automerge ---
    ok, found this is in your log;

2017-12-15 02:49:05.860|Render thread> Mesh asset Models/Debug/Cone.mwm has no material in part 0

and this thread:

https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/freeze-after-load-or-create-a-game.7399065/

i know it seems like running circles, or doing what you already did, but follow the steps and let's completely eliminate this as a possibility.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Mauricio Trainee Engineer

Seems like the same exact problem, so it wasn't just me, thank you.

I'll try doing what's posted there, I don't understand why Twinkie didn't give me as much help but anyways, thank you!

12. Mauricio Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

No worries. We know the files are good.
    Next easy thing to try;
    Tank the settings, especially shadows, and reduce view distances.
    Eliminate any crouching tiger hidden setting issues.
    Yay trouble shooting; often have to find out what the problem isn't more than simply finding out what it is.

14. Mauricio Trainee Engineer

First I really wanted to thank you for your continuous help, I hope we can find what's wrong.

I loaded a world with the lowest graphics settings and it froze again.

15. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

logs very short.
    ive noticed according to the game log it runs as a game, but i need a longer render log, this is simply too short to do anything with.
    :)
    those are the same logs you posted before

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  16. Mauricio Trainee Engineer

If the logs are short then that means they stop when the game freezes, in which case I don't know what you are saying, do you want me to just stay on the main menu screen for longer?

They are not the same, just the same link.

17. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Sorry, yes, all the links go to the same log, not to your drop box. Think that is private. You can use pastebin instead of upload and filling your dropbox with these. It's copy/paste/link. Here is mine as promised to compare.

The one log I have seen is too short to call it a freeze if you cut the game off or even close to then, so we do also want to eliminate extreme slow loading times as a potential culprit. Some times a program may appear unresponsive but they seldom abort the load. This is why Windows has the Wait for Program to Respond option. Running other software can also slow loading times, so to test this we want to run the game without other apps or programs running. Additionally we want to make sure the GPU does not have a big bottleneck of data waiting to spit it all out in a few more moments, rather it should be smooth. If you have such a problem, and a change in the settings changes the log information, this can provide helpful clues. This means each time we run a troubleshooting step there should be a new log to view.
    If you could please run the game alone, load a new world with the default settings, and let it run for five minutes, then capture the log and link it I would appreciate it.
    This really is like trying to fix a car over the phone, no worries. :)

18. Mauricio Trainee Engineer

19. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

hmmm.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  20. Mauricio Trainee Engineer

They are the last ones I sent you, the ones you say are too short, but you are not listening to me, that game ran for 30 mins, but you say is too short, if I give you new logs (which I can if you really want) even if I ran it for 30 mins again it will be too short. Do you still want the new logs even tho they are going to be the same? Do you still want me to wait in the loading screen even tho the logs stop? Or do you want me to maybe wait in the menu for a bit?

21. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

If you could please close other programs, run the game, start a new world with the default settings, and let it run for five minutes, then capture the log and link it I would appreciate it.

22. Mauricio Trainee Engineer

23. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

These are great. There are more things we can try, but this is getting to be like work and I'm sure you want to do other things also.
    If the Windows or NVidia changed please run another new world and post the new log, but please keep the link to the old log too, for comparison.
    If nothing changed; the next step is to turn off Shadow Map Resolution, or reduce it to lowest possible setting, run a new world as before and capture a new log.
    If it feels repetitive, it is.
    The good news is it did not freeze at the exact same line as the first log.

:)

24. Mauricio Trainee Engineer

Ghostickles found this.

"Ah, I just found something that may be significant.
    Environment.OSVersion: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    I run
    Environment.OSVersion: Microsoft Windows NT 6.3.9600.0
    Is it possible there are windows updates you can run?"

There were a couple "optional" windows updates that fixed it!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.