1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Mod Localization, Please?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DranKof, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DranKof

DranKof Trainee Engineer

Foreword
    I've searched on Google and Keen Forums, if someone knows a good way, please do tell.

Dear Keen,

For the past few years, mod authors have intermittently requested mod localization support. Here are a couple examples.
    - https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/mod-features-localization.7375181/
    - https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/localization-it-is-possible.7400400/
    It hasn't been very common, and the requests haven't seemed to garner very much backup support.

But this is a feature the authors of all big mods actually wish they had, just never cared to try because it's too hard and well, "my whatever language" is always good enough. Yet there are many mods that have multiple localizations resulting in fragmented clone mods that kinda junk up the workshop. It's because of the existence pf the (inefficient) workaround of making clone mods so no one has really thought about bringing this up.

The solution has always been, if you're Russian and you like this English mod, localize it. If you're Chinese, you like this Russian mod, localize it. Some people who know more than one language, will sometimes release 2-3 versions of their mods in the different languages they know.

But this presents two big problems: (1) when the mod updates, the localization doesn't; (2) when the localization wants to update with the mod, it requires far more effort than it should. It also makes working with other people a slow and arduous process.

I'd like to bring this to light and give this topic its needed attention.

WHAT I'VE TRIED:

At present, making/changing myText.[LANGUAGE].resx files doesn't work. Furthermore, we need a solution that won't jeopardize unmodified game definitions as the game gets patched.

I currently have noticed the related code:
    https://github.com/KeenSoftwareHouse/SpaceEngineers/tree/master/Sources/Sandbox.Game/Game/Localization

It seems if we want to perform automatic localizations it would require modifying vanilla code or settings or files, that would result in mod conflicts between all mods that localize. Just as bad, modifying this code would cause mods to immediately stagnate whenever new content is released.

WHAT I PROPOSE:

Please Keen, can you provide an easy solution for mod authors who wish for their creations to be localized into multiple languages?

If not something programmed into the game's source code, perhaps provide a proof-of-concept mod that the rest of us can learn from and then utilize.

Thank you for your support. I look forward to hearing back from you.
    Please help Space Engineers have some sort of mod-localization-friendly feature built-in.

2. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

3. DranKof

DranKof Trainee Engineer

Thanks, I was hoping someone else knew of an answer to this puzzle. Submitted.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.