Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New Player, Survival & Dedicated Server Questions

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Greylock3491, Apr 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Greylock3491 Trainee Engineer

Good morning,

I'm new to Space Engineers and thought it would be fun to play with friends starting on Earth, but I've run into a number of problems and can't find the answers anywhere :-(

The first problem is spawning - does anyone know how this works with a dedicated server?

When I first started playing, everytime I joined the server I would be presented with the spawn screen, and I would choose Earth Drop Pod and I would spawn randomly on the planet.

I would then start grinding and building, and after awhile I would leave the game only to find when I came back I couldn't spawn back where I was working, and I had to start from scratch - not very fun.

Recently I chose the Med Bay at the Easy Earth Base to spawn and now I'm spawning there all the time and no longer see the option to choose a drop pod.

Problem with this is, I have no resources? With no pod to grind down I can't make a refinery and constructor.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the game just broken?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Grey

2. Malware Master Engineer

You're describing how things are designed to work. It's a server setting, but by default, once you've spawned, you will autorespawn at the nearest respawn point. It's how it's supposed to work.

And... you're probably grinding down your spawn source - the survival kit.

Don't do that.

Your primary objective when dropping should be to make yourself a starting base, with a renewable power source. Then build a new survival kit on that - carefully move the medical components from your existing survival kit over, do not lose them because you can't make them yet!

Most servers don't keep players alive more than the default 15 minutes because "living" engineers take up performance. To not be despawned at all, you need to build yourself a cryopod.

3. Calaban Junior Engineer

Its best to visualize it like this:

The engineer you play is not a person. It is printed out at a survival kit/medical bay (notice the tanks of goo?). This is the "respawn mechanic". When you die, it just prints out another.

So, with no printer, no engineer. No printer power, no engineer. You literally start all over with a "fresh print".

Another difference in servers is that unless you are the admin, you dont get to save the world file. As you log out, the world continues on. what this means is your abandoned body eventually deletes, taking all the stuff in its backpack with it. In single player worlds, when you leave the world pauses, and when you come back, you are still there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

This kind of reminds me of Arnie in the movie The Sixth Day. (Get to the choppa! Now!! Oh, wait...that's not it...)

5. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

"You're a funny man Sully, that's why you're a water heater."
    "It's not a choppah! GET TO DAH TOOMAH!"

Also welcome to the community Greylock!

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Last words to Sully: "I lied."

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.