Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Notably higher RAM usage on DS

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Rakkeyal, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Rakkeyal Trainee Engineer

Hello,

I've been running a DS for about a year now through a 3rd party host.
    However, since this latest patch, I've noticed that the server is capping out on RAM more often now than previously, and as a result is crashing quite often.
    I'm not sure what information you'll need, so I'll await a reply so I can provide information requested.

Thanks in advance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. gesp_shad Apprentice Engineer

I can confirm high memory usage on DS. Ours is using up to 16GB after a couple of hours with a world size of 200+ MB
    --- Automerge ---
    Do you use any mods on your server?

3. Rakkeyal Trainee Engineer

No, I make it a point to keep the server vanilla. I can't actually purchase access to any more RAM, so if it continues at this rate, I probably won't be able to host much longer.

4. ibisgrunk Apprentice Engineer

same here, our peak VM memory when the game first launches is around 5gb but rises quickly to 10gb and we start getting rubber banding and delayed inventory transfers. note the server log has A LOT of 'cannot reach a PID' which also is causing issues similarly. sometimes if i open a door to a room i get slammed back 20 feet to another room yet the door still opens... delays like that remind me of the game how it was playing last April. a step back for sure, we lost a lot of players to server performance. all good, chef still in the kitchen!

5. gesp_shad Apprentice Engineer

I was already experiencing that weird rubber banding while walking through doors and close them quickly when the world was fresh. I doubt that has something to do with the world size itself - but is surely annoying.
    --- Automerge ---
    I wondered, if the increased memory usage had something to do with nejispo's Wooden Gallery and/or 30° Roofs mod, but since you guys running on vanilla worlds, it's rather an issue with the game itself.

6. Rakkeyal Trainee Engineer

I'm only allotted about 3-5 GB of RAM for my DS from the host, and with this new patch, the server is basically unusable. I've lost probably around 10-15 regulars because of the crashes. Thankfully, none of them have remembered to de-list their patreon subscriptions. I hope that it's a leak or something that can be fixed this week.

7. Sir_Moodz Apprentice Engineer

I have the same on my server. The highest it went was 8GB. What is weird is that sometimes a large cleanup happens that reduces the ram usage to the normal 3GB

8. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey guys,

Can you send us the server world files so we can run them here on our profiler?

9. Rakkeyal Trainee Engineer

Sure thing, I'll send it into your messages.

10. I23I7 ME Tester

Got it running it now.

11. Rakkeyal Trainee Engineer

Any luck?

12. I23I7 ME Tester

No major increase in RAM usage after about an hour of running in the background. Test continues...

13. Sir_Moodz Apprentice Engineer

It only increases when there are a lot of players online. Like 15+ to start noticing this increasing ram. Any less and occasional large cleanups keep the usage normal.

At least on my server, no idea for the others

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gesp_shad Apprentice Engineer

I do understand, that you cannot create the same testing environment in your office, but you will never get the same results for (large) DS worlds, if you let it just run in the background. If there are no players actually playing on the server and/or connecting & disconnecting, it will most likely run forever and after completley normal.
    But as Sir_Moodz said, the more players and the longer the server is up, the more RAM does the server use over time. For us, the biggest amount was 16GB after about 4 hours with around 20+ players.

15. I23I7 ME Tester

:tu:

16. Rakkeyal Trainee Engineer

We are going to try a new and clean world and see how she goes from there. Will update if anything significant arises.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sir_Moodz Apprentice Engineer

a solution if you have to many members would be to put a player cap of like 15 or less

18. I23I7 ME Tester

Anything new?

19. Rakkeyal Trainee Engineer

Yes, the clean world seems to be working considerably better. The server still uses a notably higher amount of RAM than it did pre-0.6, but isn't crashing because of it. Will keep checking things.

20. I23I7 ME Tester

I did notice there was a lot od catch blocks being used in some constructions. Which could be causing some of the drops.

21. gesp_shad Apprentice Engineer

So guys, how has memory usage on your servers been? Ours is still leaking (up to 18 GB) and I am currently testing if some of the mods are casuing it, since the last updates should have fixed most of the memory leaks afaik. Would be nice if someone, especially admins, who are hosting non-modded server could give some feedback on this. What's your world size and average player count? Do you use any mods and if so which ones (scripted ones)?

22. SacredWorld Trainee Engineer

Today max players been around 25, world size is 18mb. No mods except Server Message. After 7 hours running was up to 50Gb of ram usage then crashed from corrupt memory. Also had a corrupt memory crash at around 20Gb ram usage. Ill upload those in a seperate post.

23. gesp_shad Apprentice Engineer

First of all, that 18MB is just the voxel data. Grids are stored in the SANDBOX_0_0_0_.sbs, which is of higher interest. Ours is currently at around 140MB. I've already tested all scripted mods, but none of them were the cause of the leak.
    Secondly, holy crap, 50GB?!.
    So it looks like there's still a meaningful leak in the vanilla game that affects large server worlds with lots of active players, since memory usage is highly depenedend on the world size (amount of grids) and active players connecting and playing on the server.

24. SacredWorld Trainee Engineer

Ok that file is at 160mb. When server starts its about 5-6Gb. As players connects it rises, and the problems seems to be when they disconnect the memory seems to never be discarded. So as more people joins and leaves it chugs up. Will probably improve tomorrow as I'm doing a little clean-up.

25. I23I7 ME Tester

Alright that seem to be a really high usage are you using the world Rakkeyal sent me?

26. SacredWorld Trainee Engineer

No, I can send you save in PM.

27. I23I7 ME Tester

Alright

28. gesp_shad Apprentice Engineer

Well, our server was quite busy today after a few weeks of lull. We had 20 players average during the past few hours and I'll have to restart the server already after 3 hours uptime to empty the RAM, because sadly, our DS only has 32GB and we're running a SE server at the same time on this machine and the ME server is using almost 20GB now.
    I really hope someone's going to look into that leak soon :)
    If you'd like to have our savegame as well, let me know!

29. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey,

Thanks for the update. Currently we are still looking for leaks on Dedicated severs so hopefully we will improve on the memory consumption to not be so taxing.

30. gesp_shad Apprentice Engineer

The latest hotfix finally fixed the leaks!
    General memory usage could still be lower, but at least I don't have to restart the server every 3 hours by hand anymore.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.