Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Questions re: Adding Mods to existing world

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Celthon, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Celthon Trainee Engineer

Have been playing Medieval Engineers off & on since last summer, but haven't really done much with it, nor 'learned' how to take advantage of what the game can do, so I'm still very new to all this as evidenced by my questions posted here over passed few days...and here are more:

Have only created one world to experiment in/with since last summer, and have built a few small things here and there...it is just the base game in Survival Mode, with no Mods. If I were to subscribe to Mods now would the Mods possibly conflict with the structures I've already built, or the mines I have dug?

I've never used a Mod for this game nor any other games I've played over the past 25-30 years (I'm 60-years old in R.L.)...should I add Mods one at a time and check for compatibility after each one, or is it safe to assume that Mods work ok together if they are already being used in projects posted in the Steam Workshop? I see projects available in the Steam Workshop in which people have created entire villages, for example, and the necessary Mods are listed in the description...while I do not want to get a world with stuff 'pre-built' by someone else, I look at the list of Mods used and am considering getting the same Mods so I can create things in my own world/game.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Normally a mod will not change your base game. They are pretty safe to use.

3. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

Adding compatible mods to an existing world is usually pretty safe unless you mod the world itself (not recommended - create new world).

The main issues with using mods are not being able to remove mods and game updates. If you remove mod blocks, especially once you use to build with, then things fall apart. When the game is updated, mods sometimes also have to be updated. If you try to play with mods that aren't updated it can cause problems. The worst situation is when the game is updated and some mods are never updated by their creators. This leaves you with broken mods or mods that don't load. You can always remove them from your world but they can leave problems behind.

Basically, mods are about as safe as we can make them, but by their very nature, they can create issues.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Celthon Trainee Engineer

Thank you for the insights...good to know information.