Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Quick Introduction to Space Engineers Ingame Scripts

Discussion in 'Programming (In-game)' started by Malware, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Malware Master Engineer

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Pennywise Apprentice Engineer

Heh, can't wait to see some stuff in "Debugging your script" section:)
    Thanx, it's very impressive!

3. krypt-lynx Apprentice Engineer

Well... You can to inherit requared interfaces, to create environment simulation and start your script in visual studio.

Also, I'm using my own script for logging. It allows to to redirect script debug output on lcd.

4. Malware Master Engineer

Hi, I finally got around to writing that debugging tutorial. I'm really sorry it took so long, I hope at least it's a little bit useful for you!

5. JumpinJack Trainee Engineer

Thank you for that useful introduction! :tu::)

6. JulianB Trainee Engineer

Sooo, I just skipped to the state machine part. It really is impressive. Nice "hack" :)
    Then I thought about a more generic implementation of this and realised you'd have to serialize the enumerator instance to ensure complete execution of the method after reloading the game.
    I found this veeery old article about another "hack" to serialize this compiler generated thingy: http://dotnet.agilekiwi.com/blog/2007/05/implementing-workflow-with-persistent.html
    But I am not the most proficient C# coder here, so I thought... maybe... some more Malware would help? :p

7. Malware Master Engineer

@JulianB That article is missing some important aspects (missing code, bad link), so I can't see how it's actually done. But I suspect that it's showing a method that's lightyears outside of what's allowed to do within the programmable block. Sorry :(

8. JulianB Trainee Engineer

Too bad. Fortunately I still have found a good place to put this in one of my older projects. If all goes well I may even end up publishing something for the first time :D
    Anyways, thanks for the reply and thanks for the MDK btw. It looks so much better having all the nested classes in different files :)

9. Uncheat Trainee Engineer

Hello =)
    Does something like this: static readonly Vector3D ZV = Vector3D.Zero; can be used safe? Or it's Don't from your Do's and Don'ts:
    "use static fields or properties. Methods are fine, but static fields and properties are a potential source of memory leaks. Pass your instances around, don't be lazy."
    Because I am lazy to compare or set used vectors to Vector3D.Zero every time I need :p

10. Malware Master Engineer

Yes, that's fine, it won't cause any issues.

11. Uncheat Trainee Engineer

Thank you :)

12. 2nd Engr. 3Dog Trainee Engineer

Heh. Thanks Malware, this is very, very nice. I've been doing things that hard way in Notepad++, trying to figure out the namespace by trial and (mostly) error. To add to the kick-in-the-crotch feeling, I have an MSDN license and was able to install VS 2017 Pro. Thanks for helping me "see the light", but i need to go through the rest of your tutorial now. I haven't written a line of code since 2007 and have a lot of catching up to do.

13. Malware Master Engineer

You are welcome. Keep in mind that we have a community on Keen's discord too, in the #programming-in-game channel. Lots of helpful people there.

14. 2nd Engr. 3Dog Trainee Engineer

The Invitation for the Discord channel in your "Your First Script" page says that the invite has expired. I'm sure I could search and locate it, but I'm supposed to be "working" ;)

15. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  16. Malware Master Engineer

Ah ffs... I can't be replacing that invite continuously... :p Thanks, @mojomann71, I'll try that link on the page too.

• Like Like x 2
  17. 2nd Engr. 3Dog Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.