Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Seasons plz

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by waterlimon, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. waterlimon Senior Engineer

So you need some thinking to have enough food for the winter (and stuff to burn to keep yourself warm, and shelter for the snowstorms)

Also if theres rivers or lakes, in the winter you could attack over them as theyre frozen. And store ice in cellars for the summer to preserve food or make icecream or something (I think they did something like this in some historical time, storing ice)

It would be visually very pleasing also. Would add yet another reason to build a castle.

Do you think theyre going to bother with seasons? Climbing on a hill to roll down a snowball that grows into a 10 m monster on the way down to crush the enemy castle anyone?

2. Wintersend Senior Engineer

This honestly seems like a must, but they need to balance them between being balanced and being quasi realistic, having them switch as fast as minecraft switches between day and night is a no go. But it needs to occur often enough that the average player will see all 4 within a game. Maybe have it be adjustable on a slider for anywhere between a few hours per season, to several days for DS's.

Plus, wow, already things like this on a game that was announced not 6 hours ago.

3. waterlimon Senior Engineer

I was thinking similar to Dwarf Fortress, where you have enough time to set things up before your first winter (starting in spring) kind of.

So in that sense the winter would be a survival challenge, coming as the last season (and the hardest).

Of course when you get over it youll get another one, but it could be a kind of 'mini end-game challenge'

4. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Well I was thinking that the slider would let single players either encounter it at a reasonable rate, so somewhere around a half hour might be the lowest end of the slider, to things that are reasonable for a dedicated server which as we all know runs constantly so it would need them to occur less frequently so players don't end up having to survive a dozen winters while they're offline for a day or so.

5. waterlimon Senior Engineer

Half an hour might be a bit too fast, youll probably spend a year chopping down some trees or furnishing your room.

6. Wintersend Senior Engineer

I was putting that at the bottom of the scale, somewhat equivalent to having meteors set to high. Awesome if you can do it, but almost impossible to do well.

7. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Does anyone know if this is still being considered by the devs for Survival Mode as described in this thread but more precisely as described in the Seasons section of this original blog post by Marek Rosa?

8. Fluzard Trainee Engineer

Yes, the seasons are on their next projects. In one of their developper diaries, they said seasons were one of their projects but they want to focus first of all to farm. They are doing test : the devs have already change the sun rotation to give the impression of longer days in summer. Now they work to implement more mechanical objects, so maybe in a few months it will be their main project.

But for the snow ball..:woot:. Hmmm i don't think...

9. boromir Apprentice Engineer

How can you discern which season the game is currently in?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.