1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Server: Dell PowerEdge R420

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by Menace, Feb 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Menace

Menace Trainee Engineer

I'm a new user here. Hey all :).

Anyway, I'm running a Space Engineers dedicated server on Windows Server 2012 R2, as a windows service. Kinda (more on that later). I have 2 questions, if anyone feels up to it...

1. So first up, my server is a Dell PowerEdge R420. Specifications are as follows:

Dual Intel Xeon E5-2407 v2 2.40GHz
    96Gb DDR3 ECC RAM
    Dell PERC H710P RAID Controller
    4 x 146GB SAS 6Gbps 2.5-in 15K rpm HDD's in RAID 5
    Dual redundency 550W PSU

When I start the server instance, the console informs me that the game is running on unsupported hardware, and is forcing experimental mode.
    I have experimental turned on anyway, because scripts and spectator... But the "unsupported" seems weird. I have zero issues and I haven't seen the CPU go higher than 20ish percent at any one time. The R420 is even the lower class rack server, but plenty for my home server. So i guess I'm wondering if theres anyway to contribute?

2. When first starting the server instance, I get a lockup while the program apparently tries to start the windows service. It fails after a few seconds with the messege:

Cannot start windows service MyServiceName on computer '.'

"MyServiceName" is the name I gave the game instance, of cause...

Anyway, the server then continues starting up and it works fine. The service is even started, but it is not setup correctly... So I set up the service manually in the windows manager, and this also works fine (I've had the server crash, and the console reported restarting the server).

The only annoyance is, that every time I start a game instance, I get the lockup and error, because the dedi GUI cannot start the service after the dreaded founder update (or whatever MS called it).

Is there a better solution?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

2. Jacques Steventon

Jacques Steventon Trainee Engineer

I am running a r420 and it also says computer does not meet specs....

3. Menace

Menace Trainee Engineer

So how is your server running?

I'm running 2 instances right now. I've had 4 players on the public, while we were 2 on the private at the same time. No issues that I could tell... Everything is running smoothly.

4. Darkrider

Darkrider Trainee Engineer

Did anyone get this to work? I have been working on getting a windows 2016 server spin up on google cloud, no go.
    Server just seems in a restart. Going to take another look in a few hours.

5. Menace

Menace Trainee Engineer

What do you mean "getting it to work"? It works fine... Did you read this thread?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.