1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Ship crew

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Sir-Blooddrunk, May 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sir-Blooddrunk

Sir-Blooddrunk Trainee Engineer

It may just be me personally but whenever I look at space engineers I see great potential for factions being able to work together to crew a ship but there is one major flaw.

These days custom player made turrets are very popular to use on multiplayer servers with many servers run by well know members of the community even placing large restrictions on the use of AI controlled turrets in order to make players think more about how they engage in a fight.

Sadly the game does not allow for anyone other than the pilot to actually control these guns which greatly impacts the potential for designing larger ships using these custom turrets as they are both limited to just one single turret and the pilot is forced to both fly the ship and control the gun which they must constantly switch between the two because while controlling the gun the pilot cannot use the ship gyroscopes to maneuver the ship.

The game already has the capability to pull this off and allow for crew controlled systems as there is already a way to designate a cockpit or flight/control seat as being the "main" cockpit which prevents other cockpits or seats from taking control over the movement systems so it shouldn't be too difficult to allow players to control a custom gun on a rotor the same way the game already lets crew control the premade turrets even if they are not the pilot allowing for even greater design freedom for players who don't just want to slap down an AI turret and be done with it.

2. hippybaker

hippybaker Trainee Engineer

I think you can maybe use a remote control block for that?

3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I thought a turret could be controlled by a player at a control station. I've done it playing single-player, but I usually just let the AI do the point-and-shoot stuff.

4. hippybaker

but a custom turret, on a rotor...
    I also think there's a script for that too...?

Is it maybe whips mouse controlled turrets?

5. Spaceman Spiff

Dunno. That’s above my pay grade.

6. hippybaker

Me too...

I've never built a custom turret.
    If I were to I would make a 2 axis rotor, mount guns in a circle around a camera, and attach a gyroscope and a remote control.
    That may work if you set your rotors to very low or zero force... I donno.

Lemme know how it goes...
    --- Automerge ---
    now I'm just a single player guy, so I'm not sure about this, but:

the pilot could pilot the ship, and a gunner could access the aforementioned remote control block through a hotkey on any control seat, and be shootin' down bogies cockier than Luke Skywalker?

7. Spaceman Spiff

Same for me...mostly single player. Using the remote control block seems reasonable, but it would need to be tested. And I’m just the guy to not do it.

8. Darkrider

Darkrider Trainee Engineer

The game has massive potential for large crews, doing all kinds of nifty things together.
    If they can get the back end server multi threaded more so that its easily scalable. Long live the single core!

All in all I love the game. I sure am hoping they continue to work on the back end. Multi threaded server applications of this nature are not simple by any means.

9. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

Each of the non ship piloting control stations could just have their control stations uncheck "control thrusters" and "control gyro"- meaning their wasdc[sp] and mouse inputs wouldnt move the ship.

Not sure how that would affect player made turrets (as those are often controlled by gryos as well).

I feel that maybe there is no push to enable or even encourage "huge ship with many crew" designs flying around, as that would kill the poor overworked Havok game engine, more than it already is suffering.

Ive long stated that the game engine is geared towards car sized small ships, red ship sized at the largest large ships (basically NPC ships store sizes and scale confirmed this)- operated by a single player.... interacting with each other in multiplayer on that limited scale. Any more grander than that would degrade the gameplay experience performance-wise. The game developers dont want to state/admit that fundamental game engine limitation, but I can say it here.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.