1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Simple Light Mining Rover

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Capt.SkuLL, Jun 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Capt.SkuLL

Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

Light mining rover with rotary drills.

PROS :

Agile. short in length. Can move around
    Can drill down and Can carry itself full load backwards ( with limits )
    Can adjust Drills to pitch higher
    5 ejectors for ejecting stone
    suited for drilling straight into a mountain on a leveled path

CONS :

LIMITED drilling downwards maxed at 30 degrees only. any lower it cant carry itself back out.
    very much prone to rolling over on high speeds.
    tendency to topple over when mining upwards at 80 degrees or more and with load at the rear cargo.
    leaves a thin line of dirt in between the two drills ( drills couldn't reach ) requires moving left and right.
    cockpit inventory is not connected.

Workshop
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2126698488

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  2. P. Kerman

P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

And a link to the workshop for this genius creation so we can actually take it for a spin?

(Just teasing because that is the exact thing I forgot to add just a few days ago ;))

3. Capt.SkuLL

Hi sorry i did not add it on workshop before because of the numerous issues with the design.
    but i added it now :)

4. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

Issues or no, that looks nice :D

5. Capt.SkuLL

Haha its funny to drive. you fall on your back a couple of times it looks like a cute turtle having a tumble.
    i couldn't quite make it to just drill dead straight. it will either drill the floor a bit as to pitch the entire path downwards, or have the tendency to drill upwards because it drills too slow making your wheels drive it upward.

i extended the drill 1 small grid further just to be sure.

6. Mollymawk

Mollymawk Apprentice Engineer

nice job.
    i take it there are conveyor tubes connecting the cargo boxes on the underside?
    i would put a backup conveyor link on the top side too.

7. Capt.SkuLL

thanks. yes you are correct. i preferred the underside as i wanted the top side flat as possible making it less likely to get hit in the tunnel.

8. P. Kerman

P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

Well not much you can do about the tripping thing without turning it into a not so light mining rover. To make it less trippy you would need to broaden the wheel base which in turn would require adding more drills.

What you could do would be to reduce the steering angle and speed limit a lot … or maybe just tell people to not drive a mining rover like a race car. ;)

In any case the idea with drills on rotors is sound. It does help controlling the angle your are drilling down at, especially if you use the remove voxels without mining function were the drilling area is pretty absurdly large.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.