Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version [Extra] --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Space Engineers won't update / disc failure

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by CptTwinkie, Mar 21, 2016.

1. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

A lot of people are having issues where Steam fails to install updates. We don't know what's causing this but we think it's something new with Windows security maybe. It seems that Steam is having trouble with the security settings for the install folder.

We know this because if we install the game from one Windows user account and try to update it from another, we get this problem every time.

We don't have an easy workaround or fix yet. The only way we know how to get it to work at this time are the below steps.
    1. Uninstall the game from steam
    2. open the steamapps\common folder
    3. delete the SpaceEngineers folder
    4. re-install the game
    We'll update with a better workaround when we find one.

2. SayHi2Jesus4Me

This is probably unrelated to the specific problem stated above but the error message you get is the same, and I encountered this problem before after messing around with the dedicated server.

If you have ever touched the dedicated server .exe, before you re-install the game, check to see if you have the dedicated server running as a service. Open the task manager and go to the Services tab, it should be titled SpaceEngineersDedicated, either 32- or 64-bit. While it's running, the game content directories will be locked and steam won't update them.

I had fiddled around with the dedicated server, and set it to run as a service, but didn't realize it would restart every time I turned the computer on.

3. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

Yes, any process from the game that is running will also block the update with the same error. That should be checked first, especially if you have ever installed a server as a service.

4. sironin

Despite having over 100gb free, I still get an out of space message when attempting to re-install even after removing every folder related to space engineers. Creating a new steam library on a separate drive gets around this issue, but clearly something is very wrong with the install process.

5. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

I don't disagree. We just can't find anything wrong with the game. It's probably some weird steam bug but we can't tell. It hasn't happened in the office yet.

6. CAPTFullbird

I have Experienced this on my servers what info would you like when it happens again. Id really like to see this game take off. I will help as much testing a possible. both servers are optiplex 990s
    windows 7 pro 64
    Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM 8GB DDR3 SDRAM Crucial Balistics
    Memory Speed 1333 MHz
    Hard Drive 3 raid 0 500 GB HDD 7200 rpm

With my client machine and servers this game should be running alot better I would have no problem lending my hardware i have 6-8 Optiplex 990s i could set up in various ways to help development.

What i did that eventually fixed it was reinstall didnt take long. first server it has happened twice steam install and the other has happened None at all direct file install yet its a pain to update at times.

7. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

unfortunately we have to reproduce it here with the debugger attached

8. CAPTFullbird

Is there anything i can do to help? If there is Ask me Anytime I would Like to help in anyway that i can possibly help. with this issues or others.

9. blkandwhtlion

I think I have another work around. Every now and then I get this error. If I kill the dedicated server.exe that space engineers has and power down, then when I start up again it doesn't boot. After that I can install the updates. I was leaning on it being something wrong with the read/write access of the folder because the dedicated server was running. Since I never start the dedicated server, I though either windows startup was doing it, or the local game does it when I try and play multiplayer?

Figured I would mention that, haven't had to uninstall and reinstall yet.

10. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

Killing the dedicated server is always something that has to be done for updates. if anyone is running a server, especially as a service, you really need to make sure that thing is closed before updating.

That's not really the bug that is happening here though. Something else is sticking, and every time someone has found a file lock or something similar, it is a different file.

11. CAPTFullbird

i can agree with that statement thanks for looking in to it tho. i believe i had another server instance started after looking at my backup.

12. EEBKiller

You can reproduce this error by keeping the CHM-documentation opened during an update. It will also fail because of the resulting access violation :D

13. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

you can reproduce this by keeping anything open during an update. close stuff when you want to update it.

14. sironin

So I dug around in my steam logs because I couldn't even install this and this popped up:
    [2016-04-27 09:25:53] AppID 244850 update canceled : Failed to preallocate file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\244850\Tools\VRageEditor\Bin\VRage.Game.XmlSerializers.dll" (2522112 bytes) (Not enough disk space)

Pretty sure I have 2 megabytes of space available(hah). Disabling AVG temporarily got me past this. I'm not sure exactly what AVG was doing that prevented steam from downloading but for me at least that was it. Maybe it just didn't like that file? Re-enabled AVG afterwards, scanned and found nothing, and the game ran fine. Deleted local content and was able to redownload/reinstall fine with AVG enabled, so sadly I can't even replicate the original problem. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if it happens again.

15. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

anti-virus gives us false positives on a regular basis. I'm not surprised.

16. MajorTom

This happened to me last week, and just telling it to verify the integrity of the game cache in Steam fixed it right up.

17. Nico The Red Rogue

SE won't update so I'm stuck on 1.15. It doesn't show any errors or anything steam seems to think it's up to date.

18. I23I7 Tester Developer

Hello

There is a issue with steam not being able to go through Windows security we would reccomend reinstaling the game from scratch. While is updating not having anything else open and check you anti virus is not block steam.

Thanks!

19. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

Try to verify the game cache

if that doesn't work, close and re-open steam, verify cache again

if that doesn't work, change steam regions (different server), repeat steps above

if that doesn't work, uninstall the game, delete the SpaceEngineers folder in program files > steamapps, try above steps again.

if that doesn't work, contact steam support

20. Nico The Red Rogue

I have tried all of those multiple times. There are no errors no nothing, its as if the game is already updated but when I start up the game it says it's still running 1.144 and there are none of the features of the latest updates.

21. Mr Engineer

When this happens to be I used to do an uninstall/reinstall. Now I know all I have to do is to stop the "Space Engineers dedicated" process in the Windows Task Manager. Once this is stopped it'll update no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  22. I23I7 Tester Developer

So the issue is if Space Engineers Dedicated.exe is running your Steam will not update?

23. RavynKnight

I was having this issue as well.. i havn't played in a very long time and decided to check out whats new.. i started the game (after a fresh re install) and everything looked the same.. then i noticed that i was running 1.157 the latest STABLE build.. then i went into steam, right clicked on space engineers, properties, betas tab and saw that i was opted out so i changed it to public develop option and bam! i'm updating to the latest DEV version.. try that if all else fails.. you may be in the opt out option in the betas tab..

24. Kal318

Same problem. Deleted space engineers directory after uninstalling game. Made sure dedicated servers are not running (I dont have any to speak of)Restarted Computer before reinstalling. Verified game cach data from steams properties. And unsubscribed all accociated DLC. Still stuck on version 1.157 This is one of those times I would prefer to download and install an update manually.

25. Bad Humour

Ive had this issue as well but it you don't have to delete the entire folder. Its something to do with shader cache delete that verify integrity of game cache then finish the download. Atleast that worked for me the issue could be more complex than that.

26. ionicwake

ok,
    i have reinstalled the game.
    I have uninstalled and then reinstalled.
    manually deleted the game and then installed
    i have disabled my anti virus, manually deleted the game and then installed it.
    i have sacrificed a snickers and pored a Mt. Dew in sacrifice and disabled my anti virus, manually deleted the game and then installed it.
    i have changed my steam download region manually deleted the game and then installed
    i have deleted my download cache, manually deleted the game and then installed
    switched to public dev. works like a charm.

27. Matias

Me pasa lo mismo, recién estoy en la actualización 157

28. Kal318

I switched to Dev and that worked.

29. Matias

I did that and it did not solve anything

30. Matias

Cómo cambiar dev pública?