Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Steam streaming now works over the internet

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by xphoenixxx, Jun 28, 2019.

1. xphoenixxx Junior Engineer

This was an idea I had a while back, previously it required running a VPN - however in the last steam update, valve discretely released their gaming computer hosting platform support libraries.

This means I can now in-home stream a game, running on my computer at home, to my work computer 15 kms away, on a different internet connection - so long as both are running steam and the ping isn't too high. I am not sure if the same support was added to steamlink itself yet - but if so this means if you leave your gaming computer turned on and logged into steam at home, then you could in theory take your steamlink (or a low end laptop) to any hotel room offering internet access, plug it into your hotel room TV, and you immediately have access to playing games on your home computer - or even remote desktop to the game computer.

What does this mean for game hosts? Essentially this means datacentres could now install gaming computers, not just game servers and rent them out daily or hourly to people to play games on from home using nothing but lower spec/cheaper hardware.

The entire gaming environment just changed overnight.

• Agree Agree x 1