Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Textures in unsupported format?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Geneticus, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Geneticus Senior Engineer

GIMP Message:

Error Opening 'E:\Steam\steamapps\common\MedievalEngineers\Content\Textures\Voxels\Rocks_02_cm.dds' failed: DDS image plug-In could not open image

DDS image Message: Unsupported DXGI format (98)

Any workarounds?

Edit so the Gimp-dds plugin doesn't support dx11 formats :(
    Looks like the only way to mod textures is in Photoshop.

Also Voxel Textures are 2048x2048. Double the resolution of SE.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
  2. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Geneticus, Use paint.net man, i'm telling you. You can do your modifications in GIMP, then copy/paste it back into Paint.net. As for the texture size, I reduced the textures *something* in game to 50%, to 1024, just make sure you save with mipmaps and it'll show up fine.

3. MechanizedIT Apprentice Engineer

I know that the _cm textures are made with the texture tool found in the modding SDK.

4. Geneticus Senior Engineer

I just got tired of messing around with it and got photoshop.

5. Harag Junior Engineer

6. JBloodthorn Trainee Engineer

Just have to chime in and say, Paint.net worked perfectly for me.

7. maagz Trainee Engineer

How do I open the *.dds files? The only one I can open from the character texture folder is the _ns but the map is "inverted". With the rest of the dds files PS with the nvidia plugin show black images with a few white lines and noise here and there. Paint.net can't open those at all, just throws an error.

8. MechanizedIT Apprentice Engineer

There are some texture tools in the SDK, haven't looked at them myself, and it's not that clear what they do, but you might want to look into them.

9. darth_biomech Senior Engineer

Mine Nvidia dds plugin do not want to open these files. I am use photoshop CS4 though, maybe it is outdated software for dx11?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  10. Geneticus Senior Engineer

I was able to open them in The current version of Photoshop and the current dds plugin. Looks like we don't need the Texture tools anymore for new textures. The SDK takes TGAs and converts them to DDS via a python script. At least that's what I think it does. Currently All I get is a crash from TextureBuilder.exe when I run it. :/

The Metalness and Glossiness files are made similarly to the way you make normal maps ( based off a color wipe on your diffuse and adjusting the B/W curve). I think, in order for us to modify the keen textures (vs making our own) we would need the TGA's from keen instead of the converted DDS.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
  11. Schmopster Trainee Engineer

Paint.net can not open the dds file because of an unknown failure.
    Details:

System.FormatException: File is not a supported DDS format

bei PaintDotNet.Data.Dds.DdsFile.Load(Stream input) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Data\Dds\DdsFile.cs:Zeile 472.

bei PaintDotNet.Data.Dds.DdsFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Data\Dds\DdsFileType.cs:Zeile 225.

bei PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Data\FileType.cs:Zeile 477.

bei PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:Zeile 158.

any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
  12. Jugbot Apprentice Engineer

Me too, for a lot of them I get that error; the same ones that gimp can't open. :confused:

13. Schmopster Trainee Engineer

Yes. Its the same with Gimp or any other. Unsupported dds format. :/

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.