Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Tutorial for elevators using wheels?

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Athalon020, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Athalon020 Trainee Engineer

After seeing one in a Youtube video, I've been wanting to construct an elevator using wheels clamped onto a "rail"-like guide. I've searched for some kind of how-to or at least a video of someone building something like this, but have come up short every time. In my own attempts, I simply cannot figure out how to build the platform part of the elevator and get the wheels to be around the rail.

Do you build the rail first and then start a whole new object and fiddle with the placement until it's right? Do you build the platform/wheels first and then place the rail within the wheels? There doesn't seem to be any tutorial at all on this design, I'm hoping somebody here can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Neotician Apprentice Engineer

I don't have a tutorial handy, but i usually do with rail-based builds is that i build the vehicle and the rail separate, but build the vehicle with a long bar, with thrusters, gyro and cockpit on the end, so i can fly it onto the rail, and also construct it in mid-air even on planets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gatekepp3r Trainee Engineer

I have the same question. I'm thinking of building a big wheel-based lift to get my rovers on top of a plateau, but can't for the life of me understand how to place the wheels. I remember Splitsie making a tram using wheels and rails in one of his Survival Maybe episodes, but it still looks very complicated.

I guess another way is just to dissect already existing lifts, like the one featured in the trailer. Can't find any better options, though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. Neotician Apprentice Engineer

That does look overly complicated, i'd love to make a guide on a simpler one, but i can't get to my comp until sunday :|

5. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

Hello!

I also believe Neotician´s way is one of the least-complicated ways, despite I still haven´t succeded on building one myself.
    There is that big one in the new update release "backgrounds". In my opinion, the easiest approach can be seen in this video from Andrewman gaming, which helps A LOT!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.