Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Ultimate Small Mining Ship: The Knitty Gritty

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Buddymcfriend, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Buddymcfriend Trainee Engineer

Fellow Captains and miners, I bring to you the ultimate mining machine. The Knitty Gritty. A fast, light-armored gnasher fitted with 4 tri-drills connected to a medium cargo with a release valve (ore dumper) at the bottom for processing back at base via a collector, this monster will consume asteroids faster than you've ever seen. BUILT IN SURVIVAL MODE.
    • Light armor allows for nimble movement while still packing the weight to stabilize the drills
    • Large reactor and all connectors and tubes hidden safely within the armored core
    • All 4 drills are connected to a medium sized cargo container that uses a Connector to spit ore out via a port at the bottom; to be received by a Collector at base.
    • Ore detector and Beacon
    • 4 gyros and over 20 thrusters allow for maximum mobility (SAFE EVEN WITH THRUSTER DAMAGE ACTIVATED)
    Let me know what you think! I hope that this ship can help you build your own. This is the second model of the first ship I've ever built and I know how hard it is getting started sometimes.

Download link from the Steam Workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=261891970&searchtext=
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wanderduene Apprentice Engineer

Nice construction, looks very compact. I think this ship will do it's job very good :thumb:

Btw. I think this thread should be moved into the "community creations" section

3. Vivicector Apprentice Engineer

Can it move in the tunnels it creates? Looks like too big for 4 drills. Looks nice anyway!

4. darthraider Trainee Engineer

Interesting design. I'm building something similar, yet with 9 drills in a circular pattern.
    Your ship looks a bit 'fat' at the back, no offense. How easy is that ship to revert in a tunnel?
    I'm planning on making mine taller at the back, which is a bit easier because it's wider at the front.
    And i'd remove the landing gear, those always break off in my case.

Still, yours is pretty quick to build in a new survival game and should net you more ore than you need, especially the first few hours,
    so good job!

5. Buddymcfriend Trainee Engineer

Thank you! And you're probably right about that.

It can, but the way that ore is found right now, it's in large chunks, so there's no need for a tunnel. Also, small ships tends to gyrate a bit with drills attached to them and drills actually drill a circumference larger than their actual size, so a tunnel would be had. :p
    None taken! There's a reason for it being the exact size it is. There is a single layer of armor coating the entire thing so all of your tubes don't get damaged while moving around space. In the original design I did precisely what you're saying, having a larger back with the reactor there, but I ended up smashing it while testing it and my ship blew up. After that I decided to safely secure the reactor behindeverything else. The ship has no trouble reversing in a tunnel its created.

6. cherv-saper Apprentice Engineer

When i decided to dig my new base inside large asteroid, i made a "Mole" - cubic shape ship with 12 drills, 6 large containers 1 large reactor. Instead of any "hull" i made lines of heavy armor to protect internal blocks from collisions. Single landing gear set inside protected volume. It is heavy and holding direction pretty sharp.
    Only once it was damaged, when moved backwards too fast, i lost one cargo container. After that i increased rear protection. And weight...
    And it can pass it's own tonnels. I think, even cautios turning is possible...

P.S. Only in creative, and hand-made.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.