Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Warning for potential server owners

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by ZeroProximity, Mar 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. ZeroProximity Trainee Engineer

I recently bought a server from Verygames.net i got them for their price and because they claimed to have a server the met my spec requirements.

When using the server it did not meet my requirements for operation of the 80 mods or so that i use and have used on my personal pc's server, this was supposed to be an upgrade.

no harm no foul, 14 day refund right? apparently not, they are claiming under french law because i asked them to set it up asap(i did not, its part of the service) i cannot get a refund. despite them selling servers worldwide and accepting many different currencies they refuse a refund, im not in France and i dont have my server in France.

While i accept its my fault for not reading all of the fine print(it wasn't that fine its all on me) the fact that this is even a thing in this day and age is absurd in my opinion.

So i warn people interested in getting a server to avoid Verygames.net

Picture of server buy screen for those interested
    https://ibb.co/YWgpNMp

2. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

This sort of thing is actually pretty common. Apparently you don't need much of a server to host most games. Even the more robust games. Space Engineers is not most games. Price is a fairly good indicator of which commercial servers will be able to handle it. Inexpensive cheap servers can't handle SE singleplayer, much less multiplayer. You will probably find that the best SE servers out there are the personal property of the admins.

If there was a Linux SE Server Edition, things would be different. A LOT different. Back in the beginning someone convinced Keen's staff that porting the game to Windows would be more profitable, and that included Windows Server. That person didn't understand that household PCs run Windows, but servers run Linux, and SE on Linux servers means a better multiplayer experience, which could lead to more SE servers, and translate into more sales.

If you are going to rent a server, open your wallet.

3. ZeroProximity Trainee Engineer

I Hear you and understand that, most prices are close across what i looked at, my issue is really in the refund, i dont like what i got so i invoke the 14 day return policy, but got told no because i demanded the immediate setup of the service(I did not, it was part of standard operation to set it up right away) and so according to french law my not french server in my not french country cant get a refund. if i recall correctly steam recently got lots of crap for pulling something similar

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Chargeback the transaction.

Although if you payed with Paypal, I have no idea how that works.

5. Malware Master Engineer

...?
    SE has never been anything but Windows... it's only recently that it has even been been barely possible to run the game on Linux; and that only with hacks.

If they'd started today then sure. But it simply wasn't an option back then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

The question is, then, are they writing their next project to run on Linux on servers, or are they going to stick with Windows because all their coders are Microsoft Certified?

For those that are not familiar with Linux, It's the open source operating system created by volunteers in response to the horrid unfathomable mess DOS had become after they taped Windows to it in response to the GUI that was developed for the Macintosh. The first commercial version of Linux was called Red Hat. It was very popular (at least around here) and made Bill Gates shit his pants. Microsoft launched a smear campaign and made sure that "Microsoft Certified" meant flawless operation. Programs written to run on Linux struggled with Windows, and Windows programs, such as Space Engineers, will not run on Linux.

I got my hands on a Dell server and installed Ubuntu, and found out the hard way that SE wouldn't run. Ubuntu is free. Windows Server cost me $300. I paid $6 to get SE, and $300 to run it on a server. KSH is making money for Microsoft and getting no part of it. Keen should be thinking about how many more good, robust, stable servers their next project could be running on if they make a server edition that runs on Linux. The prospect of running the project on linked servers is even greater. Net result would probably be more copies of the game sold vs the number sold because all the servers were Windows servers.

But hey, everyone uses Windows, right. Do the ostrich thing and pretend Linux doesn't exist. Give all your money to Microsoft. They'll appreciate it.

7. Malware Master Engineer

@Stardriver907 Depending on how much "from scratch" they are willing to go, they certainly could now. "Microsoft Certification" is irrelevant. It's quite possible to write pure C# .NET code and run on several platforms today, including Linux. But you must run modern .NET.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.