1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

We really need more control over terminal actions in timer block/toolbar

Discussion in 'General' started by Deceptive Pastry, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Deceptive Pastry

Deceptive Pastry Trainee Engineer

I think this is the #1 thing I want to see. Having more control over the interval of increasing/decreasing values with terminal/functional block actions and also being able to set a parameter to a specific value. eg.

1. Instead of being limited to increasing rotor velocity by +/- 3 rpm, or piston maximum distance by 0.5, there should be a way to configure the intervals to a specific number. Eg. placing an Increase Velocity shortcut opens a dialog box like the PB "run" shortcut and then you can just type "10" to increment by 10 rpm each time you press the shortcut button.

2. Adding the ability to set certain parameters to specific values. Place a "Set X to:" shortcut in the bar, eg Velocity, opens a dialog box where you can type in the number, and now pressing that shortcut will set the Velocity to the specified value.

I'd also love a few extra actions for certain blocks, such as pistons having a "Set current distance to X" which will automatically retract/extend to a specific distance. Would also like thruster overrides having a toggle on/off like gyros do. Though these are all secondary to the suggestions above.

Yes, you can do these with scripts and I have been. But this poses a few problems such as, primarily, servers not having scripts enabled, but also requires more PB blocks and is slightly more complicated than it could be.

2. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I think a new type of block would be better... call it an "Action Block" or "Config Block" or whatever makes sense. Rather than assigning more functions to the timer, you simply trigger the action block. The action block is capable of triggering exact settings, specific incremental changes, etc. as you've listed.

That would be a great tool for getting back to the "engineering" part of Space ENGINEERS. It would also give XBox players access to advanced functionality. It would also give admins a chance to enable or disable the block if the functionality becomes problematic if there are exploits, abuses, or bugs.

I hear what you're saying. But I'm saying that functionality should be a separate block that can be triggered.