Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by abodon, Mar 7, 2020.

1. abodon Trainee Engineer

I have been playing the XB1 beta for a bit now, played the "missions" through 3, as the game would crash every time it would try to load 4. I am currently playing custom earth like planet, with default settings. I can say I am in heaven...finally playing SE. However I have traveled quite a ways from the respawn pod, in different directions. I am not seeing any ore deposits. I do have the drill out, but I am not getting lucky. Am I missing something? I didn't see an option of turning on/off ore detection...I hope I didn't miss that too haha.

Any assistance is good assistance.

Thank you
    --- Automerge ---
    An update to this, I managed to convert the respawn pod to a mining ship. Figured the ore detector on there should be better than the drill. We shall see how this turns out.

2. KissSh0t Master Engineer

You can mine the ground and process it for tiny amounts of some ores... I forget the ores off the top of my head.

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Stone yields iron, nickel, and silicon, not to mention gravel. Little known SE factoid: You can get stoned smoking the gravel.

4. abodon Trainee Engineer

I ended up starting a new planet and was able to find iron, nickel, and silicon deposits using just the drill. Possible the other planet hated my being there and said “NO ORE FOR YOU!”.

5. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

It's also possible there was no ore. Keen's asteroids tend to be like that these days. Another thing is the hand drill detector is very weak. It's the game's way of forcing you to use ship-bourne detectors.

6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Funny story, I still have not found a Uranium deposit since the..... was it Economy update that changed it?

Yeah.. I'm not even sure it's in the game, I built a huge solar array to charge batteries because I can't find it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  7. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Uranium from what Keen has posted is supposed to only spawn in space on asteroids. However on rare occasions it can be very small deposits still hidden on planets. Also if you play with meteor storms enabled they will sometimes leave small amounts of Uranium (and other ores as well) in the craters they make.

8. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I am well aware of where it should be found, one of these days I will find it..... one of these days *stares off into the distance*

9. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@KissSh0t my post was mainly meant for @abodon :)

(Or anyone else who wasn't sure and stumbled across the thread) :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Finding uranium. I think I can! I think I can! I think I can!

11. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I know he can't! I know he can't!
    :D

12. KissSh0t Master Engineer

13. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I was just playing a ME world (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1965520709) survival game with all the "assertive" NPCs running and jetpack disabled, and got a hit on my ore detector that uranium was deep below me. I tunneled down with my mining ship and found...nothing. A dry hole. But the uranium "tag" was a meter in front of me saying that uranium was present. Or not.

14. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

See? He can't find it even when it's right in front of him. Some say he when he was a child he was frightened by a old reactor making scary noises and to this day his mind won't accept the existence of uranium.

It's sad, really. Everyone knows but no one has the heart to tell him.

15. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You just say that 'cause it's true.

16. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Sorry, Spiff. Didn't know you were listening. I was just, uh, kidding. You can see uranium just like everyone else.

(poor guy)

17. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer