Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Why is this is the best and worst at the same time

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Jul 22, 2020.

1. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

This game honestly has almost everything going for it except long term goals in gameplay. It's so frustrating when you make such great creative builds in survival and survive all kinds of onslaught (with mods required). Only a few hours later to realize there is no long term goal to aim at in the game.

It's about time we got announcements they're working on proper quests, territory systems or anything that gives long term purpose for the building of ships and bases.

Edit: Title should read "best and worst game at the same time"

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

You know the default answer is "It's a sandbox game, so make your own goal."
    One of the good ones I've heard is : spectate to the edge of the map, spawn in a small ship, build up to jump drives, and do a ton of jumps to get to your favorite planet, looking for uranium on the way.

3. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

I know, I've had this discussion before. I would just like to bring forth again how much this game needs long term goals to work towards. Cause the building aspects are already really good. Now give us the situations to engineer around.

I don't think other games are quite so literal on the sandbox. At some point a sandbox game is just a tech demo for an actual game.
    Games like Anno and Tropico have sandbox modes too but they still establish you with goals to work towards.

4. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

Oh, I agree the sandbox term was taken too literally. Also in other games, the goals are developed in beta-stage or something so there is something to the actual release.

I've heard repeatedly that the visual scripting tools were meant to have MANY people make end game scenarios and the workshop would be filled with scenarios. Unfortunately the visual scripting tools ended up being far to complicated to use easily.

5. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

The tools also only allow scenarios for now. Which means you need to start a new world every time just to try what is most likely a 15 min scenario. If the tools allowed creation of scenarios/quests that could be imported to any world there would be much more content me thinks.

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I had about 1,000 into the game when I finally said, "What's the point?" But then I decided to make some more interesting survival challenges and work thought those. In doing so I figured out some things I'd like to do and processes I'd like to improve. So I started building various ships and stations to meet those needs. Some I use all the time now (some of my miners), and others only rarely, but each of my builds was usually done so with a specific purpose in mind. I've published most of them, and many are not interesting at all to others. Still, if even only one other person finds something I've done to be useful, then that's OK. So nowadays I build just for fun, seeing if I can improve on anything I've done in the past. I've always got a dozen or so builds in partial completion. And periodically I'll bail out of SE for awhile and do something else, but I always come back and let my creative juices flow, limited as they are at times. Considering the amount of time I've played SE, it's the best money I've ever spent for a game.

7. J.ohn Trainee Engineer

The end game can only be pvp. The official servers need to put in thermal beacon mod. That’s the end game.
    --- Automerge ---
    I will go a step further and say putting in advanced detection systems in AND features for empire building is the key. Much is already in but server performance needs to be addressed as well. Twice now Ihave been chugging along in open space to have an asteroid render at 500 meters in front of me. Had scramble to put dampeners on flip my ships nose 180 degrees to use most of my thrusters and slammed in arse backwards into the rock.

I survived but the back half of my boat didn’t....

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I had that happen when I had a speed mod running, but not ever for a vanilla game. Then again, I'm almost exclusively playing single-player and I know multiplayer servers have all kinds of weird glitches.

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

It's a sandbox game without anything interesting built on top of it by the developers. Oh... and since nothing can be seen from more than 4km away, good luck on finding anything that doesn't have a beacon on it... no matter what the "View Distance" is set to.

10. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I'm glad of the scenarios they've added over the last year or so, but they really show SE's limitations. I don't think they can really go any farther in that direction.