Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Wolves or Cyber hounds?

Discussion in 'Balancing' started by SU]Nujuju299, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SU]Nujuju299 Trainee Engineer

Personally I'd prefer cyber hounds as it is right now, I don't really like the idea of shooting dogs/wolves. I tried to have them on a few times and shooting the poor dogs aside...
    Who the hell thought it was a good idea that they can AoE bite through steel?!

-At the moment, it feels like they spawn far too frequently, granted their pathing or AI or whatever gets stuck after a while so you only have to suffer one once in a while until he too gets stuck then you're alone to build for a while.
    -It's not too bad when on a decent computer/refresh Steam so you're not lagging, but otherwise with even partially choppy frame rate, you can't aim at the wolves too well when they're grouping up. Regardless, the wolves tend to spawn in groups and do some advanced split micro tactics just to frustrate you.
    -In what universe can wolves bite or bark through steel? The few times I've had them on, they're always biting through steel, reaching over 2.5 meters away to reach some arbitrary critical component that they shouldn't have, and make a massive mess of debris in the way, then poop in your face by leaving their corpse in the construction zone so you have to wait for the next five spawns to pass by...

2. Malware Master Engineer

Neither. None of them make sense to me, but wolves even less than cyberhounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MadMax Trainee Engineer

Ditch the wolf and just go with a killer robot. At least that isn't completely ridiculous...

4. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

"Casts vote for space whale", if you're going to make absolutely no sense, at least have fun while doing it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. MadMax Trainee Engineer

Vicious "space dogs" are akin to Jar-Jar Binks. They may have seemed like a good idea on paper, but the reality is just a big-ole bowl of silly that leaves everyone asking: "But, why?"

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

I too feel bad about shooting the space doggos. Saberoids on the other hand.... GOOD GOD KILL ALL THE SPACE SPIDERS! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

deadly,killer,explosive,jumpscaring,rover silently nom'ing,makes sense how they can chew chew though though steel plating....cyberhounds all the way.

at least the loot would make sense.....

could have broken stations spawn that semi-explain how these cyberhounds are a thing on this planet...
    --- Automerge ---
    it has been a while but i remember you can land on top of the Saberoid using your jetpack and then safely grind into their skull.
    kinda like a cowboy bull rodeo thing.

8. odizzido Junior Engineer

Mechanically the meat dogs are the same as the metal dogs. I personally don't care which model they use. The problem I have with dogs is that they're too weak the be a threat so they do nothing but annoy. Constantly. I would have made the poll "Dogs or something else?" My vote goes to something else.

If they were replaced by something more powerful but also more rare perhaps it could be fun.

It's the same problem with spiders...spiders and dogs are almost exactly the same. We only need one type of weak annoyance enemy in this game IMO.

edit------------
    Maybe we could get some enemies that feed on uranium or something...if you have none they don't care about you.

9. SU]Nujuju299 Trainee Engineer

Thing is, dog's teeth are bone, which is weaker than iron or steel. Since it's "Everything takes steel plates," I don't expect bone would come close to biting through anything. Cyberhounds are metal and it at least makes sense in that regards.

It was kinda funny to see how when you loot the dogs, they have steel plates and power cells and think to yourself, "No wonder they're pissed..." But all the same, it just feels wrong to shoot them... :(

I'd go with cyberhounds given the two choices; to make sense of the wolves being able to bite through steel and dropping components, but for "something else," I'd say humanoids! Probably a bit much to ask if the humanoid entity could also move through ships or stations, but I think that would be cool, too. They'd really be only a danger to the player, likely being able to wield a rifle right? And the damage done to structures would be much less devastating/annoying.

10. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

now that would be pretty awesome. imagine something like the Marauders from red faction 3 existing in space engineers?
    what was originally the survivors of Ultor scientists now descended into scrap tribal engineers.
    http://redfaction.wikia.com/wiki/The_Marauders

at least that way if randomly spawning bases ever becomes a thing a player could raid them for parts to survive instead of.........

**A SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATH BECAUSE THE ENGINEER HAS NO WAY OF STARTING FROM SCRATCH**

oh wait...its beta so we're gonna be stuck like this.
    guess Every Planet We Reach is Dead...

11. odizzido Junior Engineer

If you ever did find a randomly generated base you could grind it into a refinery and such to start off.

12. Roxette Senior Engineer

Why not a bowl of Petunias ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

Space whales are a meme this community made a while ago. That and space whales, think about it.

14. SU]Nujuju299 Trainee Engineer

In the most optimistic perspective possible... "I'm still hopeful."
    That aside, I believe they described that leaving alpha and going to beta meant they had all the assets they were going to add? So humanoids are possibly still a thing, in that we already have the player model, just tint it... After all, pirate ships are entirely a thing that players can build, destroy, or manipulate and all, just that it's likely to be it's own tint, I believe? So pirate NPC character things could be the player model with a tint, or even a random model from what's available in the medbay with the said tint. If nothing else, I vote that humanoids+more ambient life things be made into an expansion, with REAL water! Whenever Keen decides it's expansion time...

15. Sinbad Senior Engineer

I say wolf, shoot it a few times and it runs away and turns into a cyberdog (you did fill it with metal right?) then comes back to attack you. if one of those gets struck by lightning it turns into a charged cyberdog, which has the original explosion mechanic.

16. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

Alright next vote, "Exploding, Flying Cyberhound," so I have a valid reason to nuke the planet from orbit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Bumber Senior Engineer

Cyber hounds, but give them a rocket-propelled leap instead of block destruction. Make the spawn rate 30 min or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ViroMan Senior Engineer

because when they are spawned they would just think.. "not again", while the whale would at least be entertaining.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

Next vote, Space deergineers, randomly pop out from behind asteroids and fly right in front, or into your ship. Can be shot down and looted for space deergineer technology, contents will have deer related puns. Players may encounter herds of space deerates(pirate), in which case the player will need to honk and flash their brights, doing both disables the deerates ships.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I would like chance of massive sabiroid spawning.
    This sabiroid would be more durable and could chew trough blocks fast and could one or 2 shot the engineer.

Something that you should actually FEAR for
    --- Automerge ---
    And something that will actually take your base/rover/ship down unless properly defended

21. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I joined too late for the exploding saberoids but, that to me is reminiscent of Minecraft creepers and the idea is kinda exciting. So basically they are homing warheads. They see a non-pirate building... they home in on it and blow it the sh|t up.

22. SnottyCat Trainee Engineer

Neither.
    Need something more alien.
    A Dune-type giant worm that pops up from the ground to destroy all in it's mouth would be my #1 choice....could even have it pop up from asteroids to take a snap at passing fast pirate ships.
    Code wise, it could be derived from space spiders, but without surface running.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

heh...heh....might be copying off every space alien worm ever but one that jumps into the air looking to crash into the players base and if shot enough it'll change its course to avoid the base from too much pain......if shot even more it could die leaving a large corpse and nice payload of scrap-metal and some parts from other bases it ate....

24. shimonu Apprentice Engineer

No dogs. Give me this.
    And for more serious I am thinking about adding automatic lander (cargo ship in atmosphere). Antenna copied from "pirate bases" (from easy start, maybe with slower drone spawn rate).
    More fun to shoot than dogs. (hate to shoot dogs)

25. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Is sabiroid damage moddable?
    Ivwould love to see a giant sabiroid that can actually wreck your base

26. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I still think the saberoids should be goats...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  27. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I really. Really. Really wish you are not a memeber of ISIS...

28. ViroMan Senior Engineer

What? No they are too sane for us SE players. We are too radical for them. I mean... expecting developers to get rid of bugs? BLASPHEMOUS INFIDEL! We have gone beyond blowing ourselves up. We spew righteous flames from our fingers and direct them at others over the internet.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

don't just report bugs......use them...embrace them...............weaponize them........become them.
    until they get fixed and you're suddenly alot worse at glitch-combat :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Right? They guy who invented space bees totally had something going there... pass by your enemy and open your bombay door spewing space bees at them...
    The other guy who weaponized pistons into a BP that instant klangs has an awesome weapon too.

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.